Job Description: Customer Service Associate
Applications for this position are available to download (PDF) at www.balibrary.org. Complete the application and attach in an email to email@example.com for consideration (or, print and scan the completed application, then submit via email).
JOB PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Customer Service Manager and the Department Head, support the overall mission of the library by providing customer service activities to promote a positive customer experience.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Greet, assist, instruct and promote library services to customers regularly.
2. Redirect customers appropriately for additional services.
3. Represent the Library’s brand by providing a positive image at all times.
4. Provide library services such as customer account transactions, card applications and material searches.
5. Interpret library policy to effectively resolve customer inquires within the scope of the position.
6. Utilize independent judgment to guide the customer towards the best solutions.
7. Execute various communication activities within the call center such as utilization of multi-line phone, e-mail, instant message, blog and text to resolve customer inquiries.
8. Make meeting room and program reservations utilizing the Library’s software system.
9. Process customer account transactions.
10. Troubleshoot departmental equipment issues and enter job ticket for repairs.
11. Coordinate with departments on library services as needed.
12. Assist with training of new customer service staff as needed.
13. Ensure all policies of the Barrington Area Library are followed.
14. Serve on planning committees and outreach activities as requested.
15. Attend library meetings as requested by management.
16. Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
1. Exceptional customer service focus.
2. General understanding of library services or other customer driven environment.
3. Effective problem solving ability for internal and external customers.
4. Acceptable knowledge of technical equipment used within the library.
5. Travel locally as needed.
Competency - To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
1. Exhibit effective listening skills.
2. Engaging interpersonal skills to successfully interact with diverse groups.
3. Provide patron services within the guidelines of the Library’s policy.
4. Capacity to deescalate negative interactions within the scope of the position.
5. Demonstrate a working knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
6. Ability to learn internal ILS and external software as needed.
7. Ability to follow instructions, work within a team and respond to management direction.
8. Flexibility to adjust work schedules as needed.
Education and/or Other Requirements:
• Completion of a High School diploma or equivalent.
• A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience.
• A combination of relevant work experience in a library or customer driven position and post-secondary education is preferred.
1. Frequently required to see, walk, sit, talk and hear.
2. Occasionally required to bend, stoop, kneel and crouch.
3. Ability to read, write and communicate fluently in English.
4. Dexterity to perform data entry on a computer, laptop, iPad or other electronic device.
5. Visual acuity sufficient to read print in 8 point font.
6. Physical dexterity to reach shelves of various heights, push full carts and lift heavy containers occasionally (up to 40 pounds) during a work shift.
This job description describes a general category of jobs. In order to meet the needs of the Barrington Area Library or its departments, employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above, and any duties are subject to change at any time.
The Barrington Area Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library will review a reasonable request for accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
location and hours
505 N. Northwest Highway, Barrington, IL 60010
Mon-Fri: 9 am - 9 pm
Sat: 9 am - 5 pm
Sun: 1 pm - 5pm
Circulation (Renewals and account info)