Job Description: Youth Services Librarian, Full-Time
Under the direction of the Department Head, support the overall mission of the library by effectively providing library services to customers and their caregivers.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Provide customer-focused in-person and virtual reference and reader’s advisory services to customers from birth-eighth grade and their caregivers.
2. Select and maintain the circulating children’s and teen’s collections.
3. Prepare and merchandise department displays and maintain interactive areas.
4. Initiate, plan and present diverse and creative programs for children and their caregivers, including story time, craft programs, technology classes and other activities that support literacy and creativity.
5. Plan, promote and provide outreach services for area schools, preschools, daycares and community organizations.
6. Prepare booklists, website information, and promotional literature as assigned.
7. Ensure all policies and procedures of the Barrington Area Library are followed.
8. Serve on planning committees and attend library meetings as requested.
9. Serve as librarian-in-charge in absence of senior library staff.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Knowledge and enthusiasm for children’s literature and literacy development for children from birth through eighth grade.
- Familiarity with current technology and social media.
- Ability and aptitude to teach and educate customers and staff in one-on-one or group situations.
- Ability to strategically balance the Library’s goals and customer needs.
- Ability to perform basic computer troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, substitute for other staff, and attend meetings.
- Ability to travel locally.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to enhance the customer's experience through exceptional service.
- Ability to continually represent the Library’s image by providing best solution strategies that gratify both the customer and the library.
- Lead the facilitation of projects and programs successfully.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external customers.
Education and/or Other Requirements:
- Completion of an ALA accredited MLS degree.
- Frequently required to see, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk and hear.
- Physical dexterity to reach shelves of various heights, push full carts and lift heavy containers occasionally during a work shift.
- Ability to read, write and communicate fluently in English.
- Dexterity to perform data entry on a computer, lap top, iPad or other electronic device.
- Visual acuity sufficient to read print in 8 point font.
Note: This job description describes a general category of jobs. In order to meet the needs of the Barrington Area Library or its departments, employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above, and any duties are subject to change at any time.
The Barrington Area Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library will review any reasonable request for accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Ready to apply? Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
location and hours
505 N. Northwest Highway, Barrington, IL 60010
Mon-Fri: 9 am - 9 pm
Sat: 9 am - 5 pm
Sun: 1 pm - 5pm
Circulation (Renewals and account info)