Job Description: Part-Time Adult Services Assistant Librarian
JOB PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Department Head, support the overall mission of the library by effectively providing library services to patrons.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Provide customer-focused, in-person and virtual reference, and reader’s advisory services to patrons.
2. Assist with collection development in collaboration with Adult Services professional staff.
3. Assist in planning and presenting diverse and creative programs for relevant age groups in collaboration with Adult Services professional staff.
4. Assist with promoting and providing outreach services for patrons and community members.
5. Prepare booklists and promotional literature as assigned.
6. Assist with basic web site maintenance in collaboration with Adult Services professional staff.
7. Ensure all policies and procedures of the Barrington Area Library are followed.
8. Maintain expertise by continual learning processes such as reading professional literature, attending workshops and seminars and research of relevant materials and subject matters.
9. Serve on planning committees and attend library meetings as requested.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
• Personal or work experience with adult literature.
• Personal or work experience with Microsoft Office software.
• Personal or work experience with customer interactions in a group and\or individual setting.
• Familiarity with current technology and social media.
• Ability to work rotating and various work shifts including evenings and weekends.
• Ability to travel locally.
Competency: To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ability to enhance the patron’s experience through exceptional customer service.
• Continually represent the Library’s image by providing best solution strategies that gratify both the patron and the library.
• Assist facilitating projects and programs successfully.
• Collaborate effectively with internal and external customers.
• Ability to lean library technology and procedures.
• Ability to strategically balance the Library’s goals and the customer needs.
• Perform basic computer troubleshooting skills.
Education and/or Other Requirements:
• Completion of a bachelor’s degree.
• Frequently required to see, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk and hear. Physical dexterity to reach shelves of various heights and to guide patrons throughout the library.
• Push full carts and lift materials as needed.
• Ability to read, write and communicate fluently in English.
• Dexterity to perform data entry on a computer, lap top, iPad or other electronic device.
• Visual acuity sufficient to read print in 8 point font.
Note: This job description describes a general category of jobs. In order to meet the needs of the Barrington Area Library or its departments, employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above, and any duties are subject to change at any time.
The Barrington Area Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library will review any reasonable request for accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
location and hours
505 N. Northwest Highway, Barrington, IL 60010
Mon-Fri: 9 am - 9 pm
Sat: 9 am - 5 pm
Sun: 1 pm - 5pm
Renewals and Account Information