March 5, 2012 - Just a quick FYI: next time you stop in the library, check out the display of books especially for businesses and entrepreneurs next to our coffee area! We are featuring a variety of titles on HR, management, sales, marketing, and social media for your information. Enjoy!
Add a comment
February 28, 2012 - Since yesterday's featured book is now checked out, here's another hot new title on our shelf right now: "All business is local : why place matters more than ever in a global, virtual world"
Read the Kirkus Review of this book - described as a successful "marketing instruction manual for small business owners".Add a comment
February 27, 2012 - On our New Book shelf right now: The AMA Handbook of Business Documents: Guidelines and Sample Documents That Make Business Writing Easy. (Click the title or cover image to place a hold or see more details.)Add a comment
February 24, 2012 - The Barrington Area Library and SCORE Chicago are pleased to present three upcoming workshops for local business owners and stakeholders hosted in the library's Zimmerman Room.
- Tuesday, March 24, 2012 - 7-8:30 pm: Going into Business - Evaluating Yourself and Take the First Steps. Learn to assess your prospects and find the direction to move forwards and realize your dreams. Presenter Mark Lieberman is a successful entrepreneur who has started four different businesses. Now he is a SCORE mentor, sharing lessons learned from the school of hard knocks. Lieberman is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin and has a master's degree from Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management. Register here.
- Thursday, April 5, 2012 - 7-8:30 pm: Selling in the 21st Century - The Art of Selling Without Selling. Have you ever wondered why business development is so tough these days? Just try to get past a gatekeeper or attempt to knock on doors in a high-rise. Recession aside, buyers have never been so difficult to nail down. Why is this happening and how can we more effectively win new business? In this interactive seminar, Jim Sheehan of Sales Results, Inc. will explain how "sales" is dead. His new model called "The Art of Selling Without Selling" describes a more fluid and comfortable way to get in the door and walk a prospect through a buying decision. Mr. Sheehan represents Sales Results, Inc. as a Senior Advisor and Performance Coach. Prior to joining Sales Results, Jim enjoyed a 25 year career in sales, small business ownership, and marketing and business management. Jim believes that his calling in life is to coach and teach business professionals a better way to develop new business and grow their business successfully. Jim has a degree from Eastern University and an MBA from the Keller Graduate School of Business Management. Register here.
- Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 7-8:30 pm: Taking Your Business Online. This Internet workshop is for business owners looking to venture out onto the Web for the first time or who want a more effective presence. Key concepts and concerns faced by business owners will be addressed, along with the importance of social media. Presenter David Beasley is a highly experienced business professional, skilled in both web development and commercial business software. He is also an entrepreneur, having started his own web development firm with a client base of small to mid-sized businesses. Register here.
If you have any additional business topics you would like to have addressed in this kind of workshop format, please email us! We'd love to hear your feedback.Add a comment
Many of our local businesses use our ReferenceUSA database to create targeted lists of companies and customers, but did you know that the library's subscription to LexisNexis can also help? Here's a quick overview on creating customized lists of companies to help your targeted marketing initiatives:Add a comment
February 8, 2012 - Did you know you can receive a monthly email with new business books available at the library? Stay on top of all the current business trends, forecasts, and best practices. Your monthly email will have links to the titles in our catalog so you can place holds with just a couple of clicks.
Add a comment
February 2, 2012 - The Barrington Area Library is pleased to present Barrington Martial Arts in our series of local business video profiles. Meet Master Morris, the owner and an instructor of Barrington Martial Arts, which offers a wide range of martial arts and physical fitness classes for all ages. Barrington Martial Arts has resided in the Barrington Commons for the past 15 years. Visit them at www.barringtonmartialarts.com for more information.
Add a comment
January 30, 2012 - The New York Times Nonfiction Bestseller list summarizes this book as follows: "The winner of the Nobel in economic science discusses how we make choices in business and personal life and when we can and cannot trust our intuitions".
Place a hold on this in-demand title in our catalog today!
- - Read Daniel Kahneman's biography on the Official Website of the Nobel Prize
- - New York Times Sunday Book Review of "Thinking, Fast and Slow"
January 27, 2012 - Even a "normal" winter blizzard can adversely affect local businesses. Business owners and stakeholders who have plan in place to ensure that customers and employees stay informed about products, services, deliveries, and availability will be a step ahead of their competition!
You can find in-depth information in this book: The disaster recovery handbook : a step-by-step plan to ensure business continuity and protect vital operations, facilities, and assets by Michael Wallace. Available at the library. Click the title to place a request.
For more information, visit http://www.ready.gov/business to start planning for and protecting your business.
January 25, 2012 - Here's a book that's not a business book per se, but touches on many topics very relevant to businesses: sales, marketing, communication, collaboration, creativity, work styles, and power. It's well-researched and thought-provoking - we recommend!
Place a hold in our catalog.
- - New York Times Sunday Review, Jan. 13, 2012. "The Rise of the New Groupthink" by Susan Cain
- - Susan Cain's blog
- "Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's Greatest Companies"
- Entrepreneurs' New Year's Resolutions - Crain's Chicago Business
- America's Newspapers online database
- Barrington Business Profile: The Cultivated Canine
- Atomic Learning - Software Training Videos Online
- Welcome, Barrington Businesses!