March 16, 2012 - The American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB.org) offers some free services for small businesses on their website, including an email tip of the week, job listings, and a list of accounting, bookkeeping, and tax links.Add a comment
March 15, 2012 - Didn't receive your paper today? Stay on top of Wall Street Journal news with online access from the library. Log in here with your Barrington library card, click the link to "Publications", then click the link to "Wall Street Journal" and finally "View most recent issue". This will pull up the full text of the current day's articles! You can search past issues for specific articles or features as well.
Need help? Contact us and we'll be glad to make sure you have database access!Add a comment
March 13, 2012 - Full text electronic books available from the Barrington Area Library on a range of business and computer/technology topics.Add a comment
March 12, 2012 - Links to small business publications from Publications.USA.gov. Most are free, one or two have a small fee for downloading. PDF versions require Adobe Acrobat Reader (free download here) for viewing.
A few of our recommended reads:
Buying a Franchise: A Consumer Guide - Want to start your own business? Find out about the benefits of franchise ownership, the limitations, choosing the best franchise for you, and investigating franchise offerings. (Even more information on franchising opportunities can be found in the booklist on the left side of this page. See "biz books").
How to Write A Business Plan - What you need to know to write a good plan at the start. It can save your business down the line.
Planning and Goal Setting for Small Businesses - Learn about the "Management by Objectives" approach to running a business
Marketing for Small Business: An Overview - An overview of marketing concepts along with an extensive bibliography.
March 8, 2012 - Barrington small businesses: don't forget about the SBA website! This website is a wealth of information - everything from starting or managing a business, tax tips, government contracts, financing and microloans, to consulting services at SBDC offices can be found here. For further information, contact one of the local SBA or SBDC offices.Add a comment
March 5, 2012 - Just a quick FYI: next time you stop in the library, check out the display of books especially for businesses and entrepreneurs next to our coffee area! We are featuring a variety of titles on HR, management, sales, marketing, and social media for your information. Enjoy!
Add a comment
February 28, 2012 - Since yesterday's featured book is now checked out, here's another hot new title on our shelf right now: "All business is local : why place matters more than ever in a global, virtual world"
Read the Kirkus Review of this book - described as a successful "marketing instruction manual for small business owners".Add a comment
February 27, 2012 - On our New Book shelf right now: The AMA Handbook of Business Documents: Guidelines and Sample Documents That Make Business Writing Easy. (Click the title or cover image to place a hold or see more details.)Add a comment
February 24, 2012 - The Barrington Area Library and SCORE Chicago are pleased to present three upcoming workshops for local business owners and stakeholders hosted in the library's Zimmerman Room.
- Tuesday, March 24, 2012 - 7-8:30 pm: Going into Business - Evaluating Yourself and Take the First Steps. Learn to assess your prospects and find the direction to move forwards and realize your dreams. Presenter Mark Lieberman is a successful entrepreneur who has started four different businesses. Now he is a SCORE mentor, sharing lessons learned from the school of hard knocks. Lieberman is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin and has a master's degree from Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management. Register here.
- Thursday, April 5, 2012 - 7-8:30 pm: Selling in the 21st Century - The Art of Selling Without Selling. Have you ever wondered why business development is so tough these days? Just try to get past a gatekeeper or attempt to knock on doors in a high-rise. Recession aside, buyers have never been so difficult to nail down. Why is this happening and how can we more effectively win new business? In this interactive seminar, Jim Sheehan of Sales Results, Inc. will explain how "sales" is dead. His new model called "The Art of Selling Without Selling" describes a more fluid and comfortable way to get in the door and walk a prospect through a buying decision. Mr. Sheehan represents Sales Results, Inc. as a Senior Advisor and Performance Coach. Prior to joining Sales Results, Jim enjoyed a 25 year career in sales, small business ownership, and marketing and business management. Jim believes that his calling in life is to coach and teach business professionals a better way to develop new business and grow their business successfully. Jim has a degree from Eastern University and an MBA from the Keller Graduate School of Business Management. Register here.
- Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 7-8:30 pm: Taking Your Business Online. This Internet workshop is for business owners looking to venture out onto the Web for the first time or who want a more effective presence. Key concepts and concerns faced by business owners will be addressed, along with the importance of social media. Presenter David Beasley is a highly experienced business professional, skilled in both web development and commercial business software. He is also an entrepreneur, having started his own web development firm with a client base of small to mid-sized businesses. Register here.
If you have any additional business topics you would like to have addressed in this kind of workshop format, please email us! We'd love to hear your feedback.Add a comment
Many of our local businesses use our ReferenceUSA database to create targeted lists of companies and customers, but did you know that the library's subscription to LexisNexis can also help? Here's a quick overview on creating customized lists of companies to help your targeted marketing initiatives:Add a comment
- Hot Off the Press: New Business Books in Your Inbox
- Barrington Business Profile: Barrington Martial Arts
- "Thinking, Fast and Slow"
- Preparedness Planning for Your Business
- "Quiet - The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking"
- "Grow: How Ideals Power Growth and Profit at the World's Greatest Companies"
- Entrepreneurs' New Year's Resolutions - Crain's Chicago Business
- America's Newspapers online database
- Barrington Business Profile: The Cultivated Canine
- Atomic Learning - Software Training Videos Online