You’re the Boss offers an insider’s perspective on small-business ownership. It gives business owners a place where they can compare notes, ask questions, get advice, and learn from one another’s mistakes. Its contributors also interpret news events, track political and policy issues, and suggest investing tips."
May 23, 2012 - The Barrington Area Library is pleased to present another local business, the Delack Media Group. Nathan Delack brings extensive television experience along with 7 Emmys to businesses interested in adding videos to their marketing mix. If you are interested in benefits of video marketing, make sure to check them out! And, watch for Delack's upcoming program on video creation at the library in October.Add a comment
May 19, 2012 - Have you ever considered a franchise as a way of starting and owning your own business? If so, this upcoming morning workshop co-sponsored with SCORE Chicago is for you! Ask any and all of your franchising questions to the expert at the library, John McLellan of FranNet, over coffee and donuts. Peg Blanchard, Director of Economic and Community Development for the Village of Barrington, will conclude the meeting with information about starting a franchise in Barrington and an overview of services the Village can provide to new businesses.
Tuesday, June 19, 8:30 am – 10:00 am
Zimmerman Room. Registration required.
· Explore the possibilities of how to finance a franchise business.
· Hear opportunities on how to replace your six figure income.
· Why some franchises fail—what is trending and why
· Learn how to finance your business (safely & without penalty) using 401k or IRA money.
· With $50,000 and good credit…you can own a franchise.
· Learn about franchise opportunities in the Chicago area
Presenter: John J. McLellan, President, FranNet Chicago.
One of Chicago’s most experienced franchise professionals, John McLellan has over 25 plus years of franchising experience. He has worked with franchisors both large and small including McDonald’s, Wendy’s International, Molly Maid, Mr. Handyman, 1-800 DryClean and others. John has assisted hundreds of entrepreneurs find the right franchise business that fits their lifestyle, budget, and financial goals. FranNet specializes in assisting individuals replace six figure incomes through opportunities in franchising both in the Chicago area and throughout the United States. Register here.
May 8, 2012 - Barrrington businesses, don't miss this workshop next week about the skills and strategies you need to take your business online (or enhance your current online presence). Presented by the Barrington Area Library and SCORE Chicago. Register here.Add a comment
April 30, 2012 - A few patrons have asked recently how to read the Financial Times newspaper online. We have full-text access through one of our databases, and this brief tutorial explains how to find current (and archived) articles. Any questions, just contact us!Add a comment
April 27, 2012 - Our weekend shelf pick and coordinating small business website should provide additional resources to help all small businesses meet any and all goals! Check this out:
It's Your Biz: The Complete Guide to Becoming Your Own Boss by Susan Wilson Solovic with Ellen R. Kadin. On our new book shelf now.
And, a website for those who heed the advice in this book: http://smallbiztrends.com. Website description:
Founded in 2003, Small Business Trends is an award-winning online publication for small business owners, entrepreneurs and the people who interact with them. It is one of the most popular independent small business publications on the web.
Together with hundreds of expert contributors, Small Business Trends brings you the news, tips, advice and resources you need. "Small business success... delivered daily."Add a comment
April 18, 2012 - The Barrington Area Library is pleased to present Rainbow Records. The local business is home to thousands of new and used records, CDs and more. Co-owner John Thominet is a long-time Barrington resident and avid music fan. Rainbow Records will join many independent record stores across the country in celebrating Record Store Day on April 21. The store is located at 421 N. Northwest Highway, within walking distance from the library.Add a comment
April 18, 2012 - Find information for businesses on the following topics, brought to you by the State of Illinois:
- Run a Business: Finds links to information and resources for starting, running, expanding, relocating, or closing a business.
- Why Illinois?: Learn more about the state's first class workforce, unparalleled infrastructure, abundant energy resources, diverse landscape, key industries, quality living, and business incentive programs
- Data & Statistics: Find facts, figures, data, and statistics on topics such as the census, population, economy, infrastructure, or workforce.
- Registration, Licenses, & Permits: Browse links to information and resources on registering, incorporating, and obtaining licenses and permits.
- Laws & Regulations: Learn more about business laws and regulations in Illinois.
- Business Forms: Find many of the applications and forms your business needs.
- Finance & Taxes: Find information and resources on topics such as finance, costs, grants, loans, taxes, assistance, investment, and incentives.
- Agriculture & Industry: Learn more about agriculture, agri-business, economic and workforce development, and industries.
- State Procurement: Bid on contracts and learn how to sell goods, services, commodities, equipment, and supplies to the State.Add a comment
April 11, 2012 - The Barrington Area Library is pleased to present Norton's USA in our series of local business video profiles. Meet Deborah Leydig, proprietor, who supports American manufacturing by selling a wide variety of "Made in the USA" goods at her store. Norton's USA features a mix of household goods, clothing, games, and even pet supplies so there is truly something for everyone here. Stop by the shop on Lageschulte St. or visit Norton's USA online at http://www.nortonsusa.com/.
Add a comment
Read more about Norton's USA in today's Barrington Courier-Review.
April 10, 2012 - The Barrington Area Library is pleased to present Sol Foods Natural Soaps in our series of local business video profiles. Meet Chicago artist Leelee, the owner Sol Foods Natural Soaps boutique in downtown Barrington. Leelee uses her creative genius to make handmade soaps and natural, vegan body products and cosmetics. Leelee also provides custom mink eyelash extensions. Shop online at http://shop.solfoodsoaps.com/ and enjoy!Add a comment
April 10, 2012 - Where do you get your news, and which business blogs would you recommend to others? Here's one we recommend to small business owners (a lot of great content. Get active here - read articles and post comments for feedback and advice!):
"About This Blog
- "The Innovator's Manifesto: Deliberate Disruption for Transformational Growth"
- Business Center at the Bureau of Consumer Protection
- SCORE Breakfast Seminar for Local Businesses
- The Enemy of Engagement: Put an End to Workplace Frustration - and Get the Most from Your Employees
- Just a few spots left...!
- Investors: Did you know...
- Weekend Shelf Pick: Business and the Grateful Dead
- ReferenceUSA for Business
- Even more ReferenceUSA...
- ReferenceUSA for Job Seekers