You’re the Boss offers an insider’s perspective on small-business ownership. It gives business owners a place where they can compare notes, ask questions, get advice, and learn from one another’s mistakes. Its contributors also interpret news events, track political and policy issues, and suggest investing tips."
April 18, 2012 - Find information for businesses on the following topics, brought to you by the State of Illinois:
- Run a Business: Finds links to information and resources for starting, running, expanding, relocating, or closing a business.
- Why Illinois?: Learn more about the state's first class workforce, unparalleled infrastructure, abundant energy resources, diverse landscape, key industries, quality living, and business incentive programs
- Data & Statistics: Find facts, figures, data, and statistics on topics such as the census, population, economy, infrastructure, or workforce.
- Registration, Licenses, & Permits: Browse links to information and resources on registering, incorporating, and obtaining licenses and permits.
- Laws & Regulations: Learn more about business laws and regulations in Illinois.
- Business Forms: Find many of the applications and forms your business needs.
- Finance & Taxes: Find information and resources on topics such as finance, costs, grants, loans, taxes, assistance, investment, and incentives.
- Agriculture & Industry: Learn more about agriculture, agri-business, economic and workforce development, and industries.
- State Procurement: Bid on contracts and learn how to sell goods, services, commodities, equipment, and supplies to the State.Add a comment
April 11, 2012 - The Barrington Area Library is pleased to present Norton's USA in our series of local business video profiles. Meet Deborah Leydig, proprietor, who supports American manufacturing by selling a wide variety of "Made in the USA" goods at her store. Norton's USA features a mix of household goods, clothing, games, and even pet supplies so there is truly something for everyone here. Stop by the shop on Lageschulte St. or visit Norton's USA online at http://www.nortonsusa.com/.
Add a comment
Read more about Norton's USA in today's Barrington Courier-Review.
April 10, 2012 - The Barrington Area Library is pleased to present Sol Foods Natural Soaps in our series of local business video profiles. Meet Chicago artist Leelee, the owner Sol Foods Natural Soaps boutique in downtown Barrington. Leelee uses her creative genius to make handmade soaps and natural, vegan body products and cosmetics. Leelee also provides custom mink eyelash extensions. Shop online at http://shop.solfoodsoaps.com/ and enjoy!Add a comment
April 10, 2012 - Where do you get your news, and which business blogs would you recommend to others? Here's one we recommend to small business owners (a lot of great content. Get active here - read articles and post comments for feedback and advice!):
"About This Blog
April 7, 2012 - Another weekend shelf pick on our New Book shelf right now.
From the publisher:
"...Despite the groaning shelves of books offering advice on innovation, most managers continue to struggle to create the profitable growth their companies need. The reason? The vast majority of management theories base their prescriptions on explanations of the past. When it comes to predicting successful innovation, a willingness to apply the empirical and theoretical rigor of the scientific method to prove what will work in the real world has been notable by its absence.
The book draws on the research of the New Business Initiatives (NBI) group at Intel, analyzing forty-eight new ventures that NBI researched, scrutinized, and ultimately funded. The group's success rate was comparable to venture capitalists throughout the industry-roughly 10 percent. However, when the principles of Disruption theory were applied to these forty-eight funded ventures in controlled experiments, the subjects' accuracy rates improved significantly-by almost 40 percent. [The author] replicated these experiments with more than 300 MBA students at schools in the United States and Canada, including Harvard, with even more impressive results: systematic improvements in predictive accuracy of up to 50 percent. In other words, not only is Disruption effective, it can be readily and successfully taught and applied."
Click here to place a hold in our catalog.Add a comment
April 4, 2012 - Here's another great online resource: the BCP Business Center.
Check out these links in particular:Add a comment
April 3, 2012 - Invitation to a SCORE breakfast seminar for local businesses.
"Maintaining Your Reputation in the Digital World" presented by Mark Goodman
In today's age of instant feedback and constant connectivity, it is more important than ever to maintain good customer service. This workshop covers the five critical keys to maintaining good customer relationships, both online and off, and how business owners can encourage customer relationship-enhancing incentives throughout their organization.
7:30-9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - Biltmore Country Club, 160 Biltmore Dr, North Barrington, IL 60010
7:30 to 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - Hyatt Place, 2750 Greenspoint Pkwy, Hoffman Estates, IL 60169
7:30 - 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - Inverness Country Club, 102 N Roselle Rd, Inverness, IL 60067
RSVP ONLINE BY FRIDAY, APRIL 20 AT http://bbtco.us/scoreseminarsAdd a comment
April 2, 2012 - Here's a Monday shelf pick for businesses interested in "reducing frustration and improving productivity". From the publisher:
"...The Enemy of Engagement analyzes workplace frustration in detail and pinpoints solutions. Based on original research conducted by the prestigious Hay Group, the book uncoves the face that the organizational barriers that are the root cause of frustation can't be fixed with splashier leadership or more engaged employees. What's needed are informed, targeted management practices that enable employees to do their jobs...."
On our new book shelf now, but you can also place a hold by clicking here.Add a comment
April 2, 2012 - Reposting since we've opening up a few more seats (due to high demand). If you want to learn more about / polish your sales technique - make sure to register! We'll see you Thursday evening.
- Thursday, April 5, 2012 - 7-8:30 pm: Selling in the 21st Century - The Art of Selling Without Selling. Have you ever wondered why business development is so tough these days? Just try to get past a gatekeeper or attempt to knock on doors in a high-rise. Recession aside, buyers have never been so difficult to nail down. Why is this happening and how can we more effectively win new business? In this interactive seminar, Jim Sheehan of Sales Results, Inc. will explain how "sales" is dead. His new model called "The Art of Selling Without Selling" describes a more fluid and comfortable way to get in the door and walk a prospect through a buying decision. Mr. Sheehan represents Sales Results, Inc. as a Senior Advisor and Performance Coach. Prior to joining Sales Results, Jim enjoyed a 25 year career in sales, small business ownership, and marketing and business management. Jim believes that his calling in life is to coach and teach business professionals a better way to develop new business and grow their business successfully. Jim has a degree from Eastern University and an MBA from the Keller Graduate School of Business Management. Register here.Add a comment
March 27, 2012
...the Barrington Area Library's subscription to Morningstar (scroll down: alphabetical listing) also provides information and training on database usage, guides on investment topics, and also 10-minute courses on stocks, funds, and portfolios? Log into the Morningstar database, then click on the Help and Education menu option.
Here is how to access the monthly training webinar. Please note you will need internet access and a separate telephone line to attend. Registration in advance is not required.
Morningstar Monthly Session
First Thursday each month at 11am Central Time.
Click here to attend
Dial 800-549-9585. Use conference code 400 519 7
- Weekend Shelf Pick: Business and the Grateful Dead
- Even more ReferenceUSA...
- ReferenceUSA for Business
- ReferenceUSA for Job Seekers
- Learn how to search ReferenceUSA!
- Bookkeeping tips from AIPB
- Wall Street Journal: Online Access
- Books 24x7
- More Small Business Resources
- The U.S. Small Business Administration