Job Title: Librarian
Department: Adult Services
JOB PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Department Head, support the overall mission of the library by effectively providing library services to customers and the community.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Serve as primary point of contact for customers at service desks.
2. Provide customer-focused reference and reader’s advisory services to customers.
3. Provide basic technology assistance for in-house and customer owned devices.
4. Provide technology support on downloading/streaming utilizing e-services provided by the library.
5. Provide basic assistance on social media applications and stay abreast of trends.
6. Initiate, plan, promote and provide outreach services for customers, community members, organizations and businesses.
7. Create, organize and present diverse and creative programs for relevant groups.
8. Research, recommend, and arrange for external vendors to present appropriate programs.
9. Maintain the circulating adult collection as appropriate.
10. Prepare and maintain booklists, website information, in-house displays and promotional literature as appropriate.
11. Ensure all policies and procedures of the Barrington Area Library are followed.
12. Maintain expertise by continual learning processes such as reading professional literature, attending workshops and seminars and research of relevant materials and subject matters.
13. Serve on planning committees and attend library meetings as requested.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
• Knowledge of adult literature and relevant reference sources.
• Familiarity with current technology, including Microsoft Office Suite, and social media.
• Ability and aptitude to teach and educate customers and staff in individual and group settings.
• Ability to strategically balance the Library’s goals and the customer needs.
• Ability to work rotating and various work shifts including evenings and weekends, substitute for other staff.
• Flexibility to attend meetings as appropriate.
• Ability to travel locally.
Competency: To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
• Ability to enhance the customer’s experience through exceptional service.
• Continually represent the Library’s image by providing best solution strategies that gratify both the customer and the library.
• Lead the facilitation of projects and programs successfully.
• Ability to stay current with library technology and trends.
• Ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external customers.
Education and/or Other Requirements:
• Completion of an MLS degree from an ALA accredited institution.
• Library experience preferred.
• Frequently required to see, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, stand, talk and hear. Physical dexterity to reach shelves of various heights, push full carts and lift heavy containers occasionally during a work shift.
• Physical dexterity to guide customer throughout the library as needed.
• Ability to read, write and communicate fluently in English.
• Dexterity to perform data entry on a computer, lap top, iPad or other electronic device.
• Visual acuity sufficient to read print in 8 point font.
Note: This job description describes a general category of jobs. In order to meet the needs of the Barrington Area Library or its departments, employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above, and any duties are subject to change at any time.
The Barrington Area Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library will review any reasonable request for accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Interested? Complete and send your PDF application along with a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.