- September 14, 2012
The Barrington Area Library is proud to unveil a new way for library users to search for books, movies and music and manage their accounts: the Owl iLibrary app for iPhone, iPad and Android! The free app is available for download from the Apple iTunes Store and Google Play Store. Library patrons will love the fast browsing and convenient account access, along with the elegant, clean design of the app.
How to install and use the Owl iLibrary app:
2) Search for Owl iLibrary (or use the links above - they will take you directly to the app)
3) Install the app
4) Search for "Barrington Library" in the list of libraries
5) Once you've selected "Barrington Library," click the button to log into your account
6) Done! Now you can browse our collections, place holds, renew items - everything you can do in our regular catalog.
The new Barrington Area Library app - just another way we're making your library available EVERYWHERE!
- August 22, 2012
We hope you enjoy receiving the library's quarterly newsletter, Check It Out. Beginning with our December 2012 issue, you may choose to receive the newsletter in one of two ways:
1) Via email in a very readable, interactive flipbook format (PDF) (See a sample below)
2) Via postal service
To choose the way you want to receive our newsletter, visit our Web site at balibrary.org/newsletter.
Fill in the online form you find there. If requesting the email newsletter, you need only fill in your name and email address. If requesting postal delivery, you need only fill in your name and full mailing address (without email). Rest assured, your mailing address and email address will not be sold or given away to a third party. Even if you receive our weekly e-news, let us know if you would like to receive Check It Out as well.
These changes are meant to give library users a variety of options in how they receive information from us, while also being more environmentally and fiscally sound.
Sample of the new e-mail Check It Out:
Sliding controls for enlarging the view are at the top of the full-screen view.
Thanks. Any questions? Stop by or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need to cancel or change your mailing preferences? Email us at email@example.com.
- July 23, 2012
The Barrington Area Library is proud to host a portion of the Barrington Area United Way's Round Up public art exhibit for the second time. The colorfully painted horses are now grazing at various locations throughout Barrington and four horses have found a temporary stable at the library. Look for tabletop ponies in our Adult Services, Youth Services and Circulation departments, with a larger horse in the courtyard windows of our atrium. The art exhibit lasts throughout the summer, and the horses will be available for purchase at an auction later in the year. See www.bauw.org for more information.
Meet our four-legged friends:
Forever Young, sponsored by the Barrington Area Council on Aging. Artist George Stevens.
Best in Dog and Pony Show, sponsored by Quintessential Media Group (and featured in Quintessential Barrington). Artist: Carol VanderMey.
Soaring, sponsored by the Conroy Family. Artists: Lauren Conroy and Sigrid Neptun.
Get Off the Beaten Path, sponsored by the Barrington Area United Way Board of Directors. Artist: John Harff.
- June 22, 2012
Long-time Barrington Area Library Trustee Richard J. Ryan has been awarded the ALA Trustee Citation by the Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations (ALTAFF), a division of the American Library Association (ALA).
The ALA Trustee Citation, established in 1941 to recognize public library Trustees for distinguished service to library development, honors the best contributions and efforts of the estimated 60,000 American citizens who serve on library boards. Ryan is one of two recipients this year.
Ryan has served as a Trustee of the Barrington (Ill.) Area Library for a total of 33 years. He served as board treasurer from 1974 to 1980 and board president for 25 years from 1985 to 2010. He is currently fulfilling a six-year term that ends in 2015. Even before he was elected to the board in 1974, he served on the Barrington Area Development Council’s ad hoc library committee and acted as co-chair of the library coordinating committee for publicity. In 1991, the library broke ground on a 31,000-square-foot addition and renovation project for the library he had help to build in 1978. Ryan is now working with the Board of Trustees and library administration on a planned renovation of the library building.
A statement of support submitted to ALTAFF by current Library Board President Don Minner praised Ryan for his persistence in seeing projects through to completion, his tirelessness in advocating for the library within the community, and his openness to new ideas and services within the library. In 2011, Minner and the other trustees bestowed upon Ryan the honorary title of President Emeritus. Executive Director Detlev Pansch notes that Ryan is both an engaged board member and enthusiastic library user, checking out materials several times a week, greeting staff members by name and often attending monthly staff meetings to acknowledge service milestones of longtime employees. As Minner stated to ALTAFF, “Richard J. Ryan’s decades of work on behalf of the Barrington Area Library can be seen and felt in every part of the building and its grounds, and experienced in all of its collections and services.”
Recipients of the ALA Trustee Citation will be announced at the Opening General Session of the 2012 ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim, Calif, on Friday, June 22, 2012. More information about the ALA Trustee Citation is available on the ALTAFF Web site: http://www.ala.org/altaff/grants_awards/trustees/trusteecitation
- April 23, 2012
El día de los niños/El día de los libros (Children's Day/Book Day), April 30, is the culmination of the year-long, daily celebration of children, families, and reading. The celebration emphasizes the importance of advocating literacy for children of all linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
The Barrington Area Library celebrated with with a week of fun, Spanish language activities for children, including storytimes, crafts and a scavenger hunt. Assistant Librarian Barbara Alvarez also visited some local school children who shared Spanish language stories in the two videos below.
Youth Services Assistant Librarian Barbara Alvarez visited Ms. Guerrero's class at Roslyn Elementary School, too, and they shared a Spanish language favorite, Book Fiesta.
Youth Services Assistant Librarian Barbara Alvarez recently visited Roslyn Elementary School, where teacher Blanca Moran and her Kindergarten students read us a story. Check out the video!
Want to learn more about el día de los niños/el día de los libros (Children's Day/Book Day)? Visit the official Web site from the American Library Association.
- Free and legal music downloads are here
- All lockers and book returns back in service
- Barrington Area Library Trustees vote to move forward with renovation plan
- Author Stacy Cordery
- Congratulations, Kindergarten Reading Club
- Barrington Area Library Trustees Consider Renovation Plan
- BASV "Express Yourself" Exhibit and Book Signing, January 2012
- Read About Our New Online Catalog
- Barrington Area Library Celebrates Another Successful "One Book One Barrington" Community Reading Event
- Barrington Area Library Partners With Local Businesses for National Library Card Sign-Up Month
- Barrington Area Library Hits The Refresh Button With Help From Design Student
- South Branch Reopens, Willow Recreation Center Lockers Back In Service
- Barrington Area Library One of 17 Libraries in Illinois Recognized for Exceptional Service
- After 25 Years, Barrington Area Library Board President Steps Down
- Barrington Area Library Hits One Million Mark For First Time
- Black Tie by Bruno Vanoudenhove: Art Exhibit of Chicago and Barrington Landmarks
- "Expressions Through Art" Exhibit at Barrington Area Library Spotlights Autism
- Barrington Area Library Opens Art Exhibit: Watercolors - Bright and Bold by Richard Helland
- Library Poetry Contest Winner Also Wins on the National Level
- Two Barrington Area Librarians Chosen to Participate in Statewide Leadership Program
location and hours
505 N. Northwest Highway, Barrington, IL 60010
Mon-Fri: 9 am - 9 pm
Sat: 9 am - 5 pm
Sun: 1 pm - 5pm
Circulation (Renewals and account info)