- Created on Thursday, 12 June 2014 14:39
Sunday, June 22, 2014: we invite you to experience The Remix, the official grand reopening celebration of the Barrington Area Library!
Join us at 1 p.m. for the ribbon cutting ceremony with our Board of Trustees, library administrative personnel, the Barrington Area Chamber of Commerce, and elected officials from the Barrington area.
Then, you and your family can enjoy:
- tours of the newly "remixed" Barrington Area Library, including the brand new Business & Technology Center, and the Youth Services department everyone is talking about;
- a meet and greet with our furry "Read To Rover" friends - trained therapy dogs and their human companions;
- live jazz from the Jazz For You combo;
- delicious treats from Frantonio's, Wild Asparagus, Cooper's, Sergio's, Clarke's, and Heinen's;
- souvenir photos from Photo Booth Express;
- a surprise visit mid-afternoon from Gelato D'Oro - while supplies last;
- free library tote bags and other giveaways - while supplies last.
We would be so honored if you would join us for this day of celebration. We are grateful for the support we receive from everyone in the Barrington area, and for your continued patience through 14 months of construction. This is your new community gathering space, so come over and make yourselves at home!
- Created on Thursday, 15 May 2014 10:17
Read To Feed
Summer Library Club 2014 for Adults and Young Adults
Monday, June 2 – Friday, August 15
Shop, Eat, and Read To Help People In Need
Indulge your love of reading while helping our community. Read To Feed challenges adults and young adults to read more than 1,500 books in our Summer Library Club. If the goal is met, select Barrington businesses will donate a portion of one day's proceeds to help feed the hungry. All proceeds benefit the Barrington Township Food Pantry and the Cuba Township Food Pantry.
Thank you, Read To Feed Participating Businesses!
The following businesses generously tallied up proceeds from one particular day this summer and have agreed to donate those proceeds to our local food pantries if library club readers meet their 1,500 book goal. As of August 12, we are just 97 books away from that goal! Please patronize these businesses and thank them for partnering with the library and supporting the Barrington and Cuba Township Food Pantries.
Paul’s Burrito Express
Nature’s Select Pet Products
Georgio’s Chicago Pizzeria and Pub
Bear Family McDonald’s Restaurants
Cook Street Coffee
- Created on Tuesday, 11 March 2014 15:04
Hit a road block on your genealogy search? Curious if there's any truth to a long-held family secret or story? Don't know much about your family tree? We're looking for Barrington Area Library cardholders who aren't camera shy to be part of an exciting video project. If selected, an experienced librarian will help you uncover your family history. Use the form below to apply online, or contact Kate at email@example.com for more information.
Journeys in Genealogy was recently featured on 365 Barrington.
- Created on Friday, 31 January 2014 11:17
Celebrate February, the month of romance (well, and the month of bad weather), with a blind date! We mean a blind date with an e-book, of course, delivered right to your favorite personal device, like a tablet or iPad.
How does it work?
Between February 1-28, send an email to AdultRef@balibrary.org. Put the phrase "blind date" in the subject line, and then tell us what type of books you like to read. Sweet romances? Breath-taking thrillers? Murder and mayhem? LOL funny? Include your library card number in the email, and then we'll surprise you with a "blind date" e-book downloaded onto your device.
Try it! And whether your first date is a success or a flop, you can always request another title.
- Created on Monday, 30 December 2013 10:00
Did you get a new smartphone, e-reader, or tablet recently? The library offers many free, downloadable resources - so stop paying for content! Bring your tablet, smartphone and/or e-reader to any of the free classes listed below. We will be downloading apps and other media during these classes, so remember to bring your device's password and your library card. Register for the sessions of your choice. We'll meet on the library's second floor in the new Reading Commons area - walk to your left as you exit the stairway or elevator.
Too cold to make it to a class? Watch a recording of the January 7 classes!
Here's the link you need to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPMqgi1dI7o
e-books and audiobooks
music, movies & more
e-books for e-readers
If you have a Nook GlowLight, Kindle Paperwhite, or another black and white e-reader, this class is for you!
Saturday, Jan 25, 10 AM
Library Assistant Phil Collins leads one of our BYOD classes in the new Reading Commons area on the second floor of the library. Join us next time!
- Local voices and community conversations
- Dare To Be Scared Writing Contest
- Show your library card for great deals and discounts!
- Summer Library Club Popcorn Challenge!
- Have Book, Will Travel: Summer Library Club 2013
- Need tech help? Just drop in!
- Barrington Area Library Begins Renovation and Revitalization Project
- System Upgrade Coming March 20, 2013
- Congratulations to this year's Kindergarten Reading Club members
- Barrington Area Library featured in Quintessential Barrington magazine
- 2012 Teen Poetry Contest
- Motor Werks of Barrington Facebook Challenge
- Barrington Area Library introduces new library app
- Library Newsletters
- Barrington Area United Way Round Up Arrives at the Library
- Barrington Area Library Trustee Richard J. Ryan Receives Honorary Citation
- El día de los niños, el día de los libros
- Free and legal music downloads are here
- All lockers and book returns back in service
- Barrington Area Library Trustees vote to move forward with renovation plan
location and hours
505 N. Northwest Highway, Barrington, IL 60010
Mon-Fri: 9 am - 9 pm
Sat: 9 am - 5 pm
Sun: 1 pm - 5pm
Circulation (Renewals and account info)