BAL on Facebook BAL on Twitter BAL YouTube Channel BAL Local History's photostream

twitter talk

Lines History-Part 5

Use the library's Personal Name Index or FIND button on the toolbar to search for words in the text.

 

Contents | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6

Police

The Men Who Keep Order

The earliest police that we remember were "Hank" Sandman and John C. Myers; the former was called the Marshall of Day Service and the latter was the Night Watchman. It is believed that before them the peace officer was the constable.

The night watchman's additional duty was to light the kerosene street lights. Either he or his son walked the village from one end to the other with a small step ladder on his shoulder and at each stop he trimmed the wick, cleaned the globes, added oil if necessary, lit the lamp, and set it so it would go out at moon-up or at dawn. The record shows that the office of Lamplighter was invested in a separate person, Edward Meyer in 1887. Beginning in 1889 when John C. Myers was watchman, the two duties were thereafter combined in one man.

The day marshall, besides his duties as police, also had the work of a street commissioner, attending to all gravelling, the safety of streets, the good condition of gutters, sidewalks, bridges and crosswalks, and knowing where the grade level was at all corners. He was the Truant Officer and often a member of the Board of Health, at a salary of $25.00 a month in 1892.

John Myers' years of faithful service ended when succeeded by Albert S. Henderson, both being quiet men and Civil War soldiers. Al Henderson always carried a cane, usually standing alone in the darker places watching the coming and passing of strangers, and alert for fires and anything unusual. During his time, electric lights relieved the boys of lighting the village at night.

Ed K. McGhie followed him, doing as good a job as one man could, covering the village in protection against burglary, and discovering the outbreak of fires.

Fred "Pete" Jahnholtz followed Foster Weigel. All of the night watchmen were quiet and very reliable, and most of them of long years of service. What would the young lady arriving home on the midnight train have done if she could not have relied on the night watchman to see that she got home; and our lights were not always as bright as now, especially when at one time the electric lights were turned off at midnight to save money, and perhaps with the thought that people should be at home at that late hour.

"Hank" Sandman, our first recollection of a Marshall was a big framed, powerful and fearless policeman. One outstanding example of those qualities was when he was called to trouble on the E.J. & E. Ry. at Main Street crossing when a number of stubborn bums refused to leave a freight car at the orders of the train crew. Hank was called. He promptly climbed into the boxcar, not knowing what he would find awaiting him there. He faced a group of toughs who did not want to got out, but, one at a time, they came tumbling out, very hurriedly leaving town beyond Hank's big boots. Although a little slow of speech, he was quick and forceful, as shown about the time of the Railroad strike of 1894 when called on by a Northwestern conductor to rid the platform of the mail car of a suspicious character who promptly found apparent urgent business calling him to the next county. Hank came to a sudden end. One evening we heard a shot across the village on "the North Side". Hurrying over to the southeast corner of Chestnut and Cook Streets where an old barn stood, we saw him lying across the sidewalk with his gun in his hand and facing home. The Coroner's Jury returned an open verdict.

Frank Schoppe and J.M. Topping, who had been a Chicago policeman, followed him for a time until John Donlea took the position and held it for years. One of John's good traits was that all the children going to school or about town fired a friend in him and enjoyed his Irish wit.

Ed Peters served as marshall for a number of years after Donlea. Barrington had a tramp house in those days in response to the rule said to exist that a municipality should give a tramp, on request, a night's lodging. The tramp house was on Station Street back of the old fire department house where the reservoir is now. The night man put the tramp in there where they had a bunk and fire; and locked the door. The day marshall's first morning duty was to let the weary wayfarers out, usually seeing that they got beyond the village limits and back doors for handouts. That tramp house, when the second village deep well was dug, was moved away before it walked away of itself. Ed Peters was always on the job.

Ernest Baade followed Ed Peters. Ernest was the first Barrington policeman to wear a police uniform; was the first one to be designated as The Chief of Police; and was in charge of all police, both day and night. Pete Jahnholtz as might watchman was put into a uniform. Later Chief Baade had Ernest Wessel on the night shift following Jahnholtz, and William Behrens was relief nightman. Walter Ebert followed Wessel. Reynold E. Smith came on the force in December of 1940 as the first full time motorcycle patrolman. Sam Peters was soon added to the motorcycle squad to succeed Walter Ebert. Then Art Miller, Norman Reese and William Heiden were motorcycle patrolmen for a time.

With the duties of Chief came the necessity of an office for many police office records and correspondence. The first office for police was over the stairway of the village hall at the east windows in the tower, small, but enough for a beginning. More space soon needed was supplied in the second location, under the corner of the National Bank building by an outside stairway where for years had been the barber shops of Wally Wood, Charles Dill and Ed and Charles Thies. During Chief Baade's regime the State Legislature made a municipal pension plan available subject to the village referendum which was proposed to the Village Board and carried at election. That made the pension plan available to the police force.

When Ernest Baade retired May 31, 1950 after twenty three years and one month of police service, a big party was held in his honor. Men from other municipalities came expressing appreciation of his ready co-operation. Local people spoke of his being always faithful to his trust.

Lieut. Reynold E. Smith was promoted to succeed Mr. Baade and took his own daily shift at duty with his subordinates, Lee Hummel and Joe Muscarello. With the growth in population came the necessity of more police, a complete organization, quicker communication for police calls and co-operating alert.

If one of the Police were needed at night, the only way was to get out and look for him -- he might be afoot or in the squad car. So a red light was installed on a pole in the Drover triangular park at Railroad Street and North Cook, which, when turned on after a phone call by someone to the Chief's home, was a signal that the night watchman was wanted. When the red light was seen by that officer he went to the nearest phone if he could find one at that time of night. In about 1942 Lake County furnished a receiving set in the interest of Civilian Defense but no calls were made. Yet, that was the start of our police radio system.

In 1948 when the Civilian Defense Council of Barrington disbanded, the $501.00 in its treasury was turned over to the Police Department and applied to the purchase of a two-way radio for the squad car. The calls thereafter went through the Chief's home. Mrs. Baade, when he was Chief, and Mrs. Smith, when he became Chief took all the calls, in and out, both day and night and relayed them to our squad car through the state hookup at Elgin.

More complete systems and service was needed because of the growing area and more traffic through the Village. Barrington was hooked up with the Civilian defense and the State organized Police. That meant more space, better housing for jail and court room, and close proximity to the Fire Department. The Chief advocated in 1951 to the Board the revamping of the old DX garage of Station Street which had just recently been vacated by the Drover Motor company. The Village Board adopted the proposition, knowing that both departments needed more room in order to do the good work which they were ambitious to achieve. In October of 1951 the building had been remodeled to suit the needs, and both Police Headquarters and the Fire Department were housed in commodious quarters. Then, being in more commodius quarters, the Village Police Station was hooked up to Lake County network which gave Barrington its own radio communication system.

An Auxiliary Police Corps was mandatory under the Civil Defense organization. A referendum for a Police Comission was offered to the Village Board which placed the Proposition on the April ballot of 1955. It was carried and went into effect in June, 1955, thus taking the Police Department out of politics. That Commission was composed of three men: William M. Larlee, Roy E. Wilmering and Thomas W. Pettise.

A Reserve Force of fourteen men was made available. These men are used on many occasions or at special places and corners at certain times of day. Desk Sergeants were put on duty in the office, each one serving an eight hour daily trick. Complete two-way radio service had been installed. Thus the transformation from a one-man Marshall service to a highly organized department. A core of police rules and regulations was adopted in June, 1955.

Chief Smith and other officers, accompanied by Martin S. Schreiber, President of the Village Board were sent annually to the Municipal League and Police Training Corps held at the University of Illinois in Champaign. Chief Smith conducted that training school when it was held in Barrington in 1958.

In July, 1960, the Village of Barrington contracted to assist neighboring communities in police protection organization; appointing police, administrating that work for Barrington Hills, an area of thirty square miles, the largest of its kind in the world.

The community is pleased with Chief Smith's accomplishments: Promotion of Civil Service, Police Pensions, Two-Way Radio Service, Juvenile Police Bureau, Separate Police and Fire Department Headquarters and around-the-clock Desk Service, and expansion within and without the village.

Chief Smith retired at the close of January, 1963 after 22 years on the force, and 13 years and 8 months as Chief of Barrington Police. Chief Smith then became Chief of the Barrington Hills Police Department. Lieutenant Joseph, Joe Muscarello, who joined the force January l, 1949 took his place as Chief on February 1, 1963.

Commissioner of Street, Water, and Sewer

In 1884 J.W. Clark was Street Commissioner; in 1885, 1886 and 1887, Len Runyon was in office; Joe Catlow in 1890 and John Jahnke in 1891.

As previously mentioned, the Marshall, in addition to his police duties, was in charge of streets, cross walks, sewer and water. This, in general, prevailed through Sandman, Donlea and Peters and into Baade's term of office.

Although William Hager was the engineer in charge of pumping water and took over that department, the remaining duties were left to the Marshall. During the time of Ernest Baade, the work was divided, and Sam Peters took full charge as Commissioner and served for several years. It was a full time job for any man.

Paul Purcell followed him, and, before he retired in 1960 after 27 years in the harness, he had a crew of four men under him, using two village trucks, sweepers, sewer, borer and much equipment. Henry Johanesen, a very capable man, followed him. Both Sam Peters and Paul Purcell were given Police Stars when they were Commissioners.

Medical

In 1855 Dr. Crandall came here with S.P. Parker who was a druggist and jeweler and at started a drug store on East Station Street. Crandall left the partnership in two years, Parker running his drug store seventeen years until he sold to C. Dickenson. Other early doctors were: Dr. William Dornbusch who lived in the home which stood on Station Street where the east half of the Louis Miller building is; Dr. W.M. Burbank who lived on West Main in the house that later was the Ed Clark home; Dr. Butterfield, Dr. Filkins, Dr. Keck; Dr. Zahn who returned to Germany; Dr. Max Clausius; Dr. Peter Davison specialized as "the Cancer Doctor"; Dr. David H. Richardson (homeopath); Dr. Coyt H. Kendall (eclectic); Dr. William A. Shearer (allopath); Dr. Allen, Dr. C.V.A. Weichelt, Dr. Ben P. Graber, Drs. Charles Coltrinp Allshouse and Ed. W. Olcott were dentists before the turn of the century. Dr. Keck lived on Grove Avenue; Dr. Filkins lived in the home on the southwest corner of Station and Grove with a picket fence around the yard. His daughter Maud married Ben Castle. Kendall built and lived at 541 South Hough Street. Zahn, a tall dignified gentleman who always carried and flourished a cane, lived on West Lincoln until he returned to Stuttgart, Germany. Davison lived at the north bend of Rainbow Road. Richardson's, whose home was at the northwest Corner of Hough and Main where the drug store is now, was of a pioneer family. Weichelt's home was the brick house at Hough and Lake. Allen built two houses and lived at Russell and Dundee. Shearer lived on South Cook where the delicatessen store is, and moved after the violent flu epidemic to New York State on the Hudson River. Dr. Graver lived on Coolidge and died here "in the harness".

Health and Sanitation

Health is always much sought after; and many of our pioneers lived to a ripe old age in spite of many hardships, exposures, contaminated water, tainted milk and facilities which then were outdoors but are now inside. Some things which we consider as hardships perhaps hardened them. Barrington was proud of its long-lived sturdy old folks. There were many in the octogenarian group, and quite a number in the nonegenarian. But life was more simple, less hurried and complex. Their faith taught them altruism, and they took time to live. But all too many succumbed to poor hygiene, or were the victims of fettish cures, and when an epidemic invaded the community, it took a fearful toll. Outdoor toilets and polluted shallow wells were the rule, and typhoid fever raged. Yet all that was the price of our health and extended longevity today. Our older cemeteries show a terrible loss of many mothers and children, sometimes two in one grave. Epidemics, before we had better hygiene and more careful sanitation were fearful. Typhoid, smallpox, diphtheria, scarlet fever and cholera were terrifying. One of our citizens took his four children, victims of "black" smallpox, at night in a cart and buried them alone. The flu epidemic which broke out in September of 1918 was severe and took a number of lives or led to tuberculosis. Enough nurses and doctors could not be gotten to care for all in their own homes. The John Robertson home on West Main (now the Rest Home) was empty and was turned into an improvised hospital where a very few could take care of many. John C. Cadwallader who was Secretary of the Village Board at that time left his business and spent most of his time helping there to care for the sick, frequently gargling clear listerine and kept on going. The world death was said to be 21,642,283, with over a million in the U.S. alone.

See the glad changes that sera, medicine and vaccinations have brought. The sewage system of 1925 and tiling of open creeks, removal of outdoor toilets by ordinance of November 1, 1936, the common drinking cup at the town pump or in the school room, replaced by the bubbling fountain or individual cups at communion services, and strict quarantine have all brought a blessed change. Why did we wait 27 years after getting running water before we put in sewers, and 38 years before we stopped the big cause of typhoid by banning the outdoor toilet?

A Board of Health Ordinance was adopted Jan 19, 1948 and on that date Village Board President Earl Hatje appointed a five-man board: Dr. B.P. Graber, local physician; James Plagge, Professor at the University of Illinois and a member of our Elementary School Board of Education; Lawrence Barrett who was a drug manufacturer; Edwin Plagge who was a member of our High School Board of Education; and Albert Gaelen doctor in the local Animal Hospital.

The milkman used to go from door to door with milk in several five or eight gallon cans in his horse drawn wagon. He poured several gallons into his three-gallon can which had a pouring spout on it, and at each back door he poured out what was ordered into an open pitcher or small milk pail.

Good sanitation banished that system, and bottled milk from a cleaner place than the open road or side yard took its place. Pasteurizing of milk was ordered by Ordinance No. 160 and by several reitterations since. In 1956 Village Law barred out milk vending machines because they felt that sanitation could not be controlled in a machine, and they were not always sure of refrigeration. Pasteurization of milk was enforced by Village Ordinance No. 226.

Parks

The Barrington Park Board came into existence by election in May, 1929. This action was sponsored and fostered by the Lions Club. The area taken into authorized Park District was the entire village plus a strip a half-mile deep along the south side, the north side, and the west side of the village.

The first Board was Martin H, Schreiber, President; Jack McCoy, Secretary; Frank Waterman, Nellie Hammond, Hugh Calkins and Arnold H. Sass. In the thirty years of the Board to this time, it has had seventeen presidents in passing that duty around, but since the first year. Ed J. Langendorf has been its one secretary these thirty years.

The Park District, just established, was without funds, but the Lions Club worked with them in getting the park system started. The Park Board bought, the same year of its organization, 1929, the parcel of land east of Division Street south of the railroad. A little later they bought the parcel west of Division to Spring Street from William Clinge.

Then the Park Board bought from a syndicate of local men a tract of land west of Hough Street and south of the Northwest Highway, where a shelter house and swimming pool were established in 1930.

There was no outlet to the Highway so Mr. George Arns gave to the park a strip on the west side of his home on the Highway for an outlet to the Northwest Highway. Then to furnish an outlet to the east, the Lions Club bought in 1939 from A.C. Burnadt, who at one time was Village Clerk, a seventy-five foot strip along the north side of his home lot on North Hough Street which was deeded to the Village and named Lions Drive. This was paved by the village and afforded two entrances and exits to the North Side Park.

A fine opportunity was afforded the Board to enlarge the North Park to furnish room for the pleasures it wishes to offer the public. On April 4, 1938 the park was given a large parcel of ground to the south and west called the "Park Manor", the gift of the Jewel Tea Company. That beneficence was repeated by the Jewel Tea Company an October 19, 1947 when a block of property westerly of the Park was deeded to the Park with a sum of $10.000.00 plus accrued interest, both of which had been held in trust until the High School's location was made by a public election. That brought the size of the North Park to forty-two acres.

The wading pool and small shelter house were built in 1940 as a further donation by the Jewel Tea Company. The original house at the swimming pool got to a point that the needed repairs would be too great and still remain too a small a building for the purposes the board had in mind. So a new building was erected in 1955.

The Lions Club had the lagoon at the south end of the park dredged out, making it an added attraction to the tree filled park.

The pool has been a blessing to youth in the summertime with its fun, the swimming instruction by a competent teacher; and the safety by its life guards on duty at all times when the park is open. So popular is the pool that at times only regular season ticket holders or those buying tickets in advance can be admitted.

The need of village parking space became so serious, that the part of the East Park, west of Division Street, was leased by the village and paved with a toll gate on Spring Street at Lake Street as a village commuters' parking lot. On this part of the East Park there had been a small shelter house that was found to be insufficient and was torn down.

A large and commodius building known as the Scout Cabin was erected by consent on park property fronting on East Russell Street and was dedicated March 20, 1935. It was made possible by many gifts of private money, time and W.P.A. labor.

A Recapitulation of Civic Affairs

In civic affairs, our homes have always come first on the basis of wholesome growth, with churches and schools and necessary business following closely. Houses were not built ten feet apart in domino style then. To the people who walked everywhere, out here from Chicago, miles to and from daily work, or several miles to school in all kinds of weather, a comfortable rural distance was still sociably near and neighborly. The sight across the fields or valley of the friendly wood smoke from chimneys, or a washing out on the line, or men at work in the fields told much of community welfare. (Many of these features of civic growth are further told in separate chapters.)

Churches

The first Church services were held by itinerant preachers or laymen in the several how for probably eight or ten years, until schoolhouses were built where they worshiped until they outgrew them. Now we have ten churches in the village, four in the countryside and two societies without an edifice.

Schools

For six years the children gathered in the home of someone capable of teaching until Barrington township was organized for schools in 1840. Now including the Countryside School and the North Barrington School and our High School and St. Anne's we have seven.

Early Gatherings

A passing stranger was most welcome with his news from other parts. Spelling bees were a means of social gatherings, as also were quilting parties, debating societies, barn raisings and butchering and putting down meat. So, too, was the thrashing group, which was usually too busy to say much until gathered around the festive board provided by the women. Public welfare was naturally a subject of interest, even if only indirectly.

After the township organization in 1850, the young men who had come here from the East as boys and had been growing up in the new West, took a vigorous hold in civic affairs and deported themselves nobly, either as officials or in community building. Those who moved into the village after 1854 found the further need of civic co-operation in a more closely settled area.

Walks

A path alongside the road track and beside the fences had to give way to planks layed end to end to got out of the mud or wet grass. The plank walks gave way to board walks three feet wide, and, as there were soon more to use them, the walks were required to be four feet wide. Then the more durable and more lasting sand stone or cement sidewalks five feet wide were the only walks allowed to replace the board walks for the of safety and the growing traffic. Cement did not have broken or loose boards with holes to step into or trip over, nor could they be upset on Halloween, nor were they built several feet up off the ground, as were the board walks, for folks to fall off from. Mr. Ed Lamey built the first cement walk in the village along the Chestnut Street side of his now home at Ela Street. Its composition was finer than the present ratio of cement and sand or gravel.

The Barrington Academy was a venture in education when that municipal contagion hit here, but died aborning perhaps because of a satisfaction of quality of teachers or lack of financial backing. The State Legislature enacted as of February 16, 1865 that for the purpose of establishing and maintaining an institution of learning of high trade at the Town of Barrington in the County of Cook, Millius B. McIntosh, James S. Davis, Ira J. Chase, Homer Willmarth, N.J. Aylsworth, C. Hawley, William T. Waterman Denis Putnam and J.W. Kingsley are hereby constituted a body corporate by the name of the Barrington Academy. Capital stock was $100,000.00 divided into shares of not less than $25.00 each.

The Barrington Library Society was granted a charter of incorporation by Secretary of State George H. Harlow on March 6, 1878. Its purpose was "to promote an interest in the art of public speaking and other literary acquirements". Organizing committee was listed as Milton E. Henderson, C.T. Blair and W.D. Simonds a North Side school teacher. Directors were Lester D. Castle, C.T. Blair and William G. Sharman.

The Barrington Protective and Detective Association was thriving in 1889. We would like to know what became of it.

The Town Pump Water Trough was the morning gathering spot for the farmers who shipped milk. Their horses had to be watered and they chatted with other farmers waiting in line for the same thing. They moved to the stores at the coming of water works and electric lights.

The Old Village Hall over the calaboose was moved away up Station Street. The board fence in front of the Village Hall was taken down in 1890. In the April 1897 election, the ballot contained a proposition for a new Village Hall. Result: 50 for and 92 against.

The Pound which housed the wandering animals at a penalty of fifty cents a day gave way to house the wandering human, a tramp house.

Artificial Gas was franchised into the village in 1905 from Niles. That ended the dangerous gasoline stove and the boys bugaboo, the wood pile.

The Public Library began in 1915 on the counter in W., J,, Cameron's drug store on Park Avenue, and by 1957 it moved into its own handsome building on South Hough Street at the corner of Monument Avenue.

Taverns. Barrington has had as many an five taverns at a time. The village went dry in 1867 and the taverns moved just outside of the village. The one east was called the "Rising Sun" and the other west was called the "Setting Sun". In 1908 four saloons went out of business or quit selling hard liquor. Local option vote following several years of campaigning and persistent work by local dry advocates. Many violations of the law provoked the move, such as being open past hours, windows not clear for free view into the saloon, selling to the intoxicated or to minors, much of it accompanied by a certain amount of poverty. A number of law suits were docketed. The dry spell ended December 5, 1933 with the approval of the 21st U.S. amendment. Ordinance No. 225 limited the number of taverns to five and later to four. A suit was entertained in the courts to prove its authenticity and the village was sustained. In April of 1960 a permit was refused which would have increased the number.

The Sewer System put its further blessing on civic growth in June of 1925, Ordinance No. 88.

The Building Code. In 1926 on March lst, Ordinance No. 96 established a Building Code designating size, material and location on the lot of all buildings to be erected thereafter.

Fire Escapes and Exits are required by Ordinance No. 4 passed on February 3, 1904.

Daylight Savings Time was official in Barrington in April of 1924.

Wig Wag Signals were placed at all railway crossings in 1926. Crossing gates were installed by the C. & N.W. Railway at Main and Cook Street crossings in 1958 over the protest of the village. Flagmen and their shanties were then discontinued. By Ordinance No. 192 on June 12, 1931 railroad whistles were prohibited except when necessary or required by statute.

The Zoning Ordinance, No. 94 was passed on July 6, 1926 and a more systematic location of business industry and apartments wax designed by zoning certain areas for each usage. Homes were thereby protected against the undesireable. Earl Hatje president of the village board of trustees appointed on July 6, 1928, with the sanction of the trustees a Zoning Board of Appeals by permission of Ordinance No. 209A passed March 1, 1928. Their policy has ever been to guard the community against unhappy, unsafe or unwholesome location of business or industry and never to recommend the granting of a "blank check" to a petitioner. The study of an over-all plan was begun by Evert Kincaid and Associates in 1957. In collaboration with the Planning Commission, a new zoning ordinance was drawn up and passed the approval of the Zoning Board, which was presented to the Village Board of Trustees. On March 9th that board passed the ordinance and we were given a more comprehensive control of the various zones and their uses.

Cement Pavement of our village streets in 1927 enabled Barrington to dig itself out of the mud and dust that were as old as history. Unless you were there and saw it, you do not know how bad the mud was. Police shoveled the mud off the cross walks downtown an their daily duty in wet weather. It was common to see a team bogged down and stuck to the wheel hubs until help came. The principal streets received a coat of gravel till the bottom went out when the ground thawed in the spring. Later, the streets were oiled, then the pavement.

Civic League was organized March 14, 1927 with Frank Hecht as one of its most ardent sponsors to co-ordinate all efforts in boosting Barrington. It had a good membership and put out a brochure, cards and dodgers declaring Barrington to be "the Ideal City".

The Chamber of Commerce was organized again in 1928 and it did its part. Imported municipal planning specialists told us Barrington was destined to be more of a residential area than a heavy industrial area. They met at a dinner meeting in the Greengard Grill on East Main Street, south of the tracks. They had a pianist, Helen Abott, to play for them in their period of singing of popular songs after dinner before the evening business. They were alert to features of civic betterment. One, we recall, when we asked the Northwestern Railway to build an over-pass at Prairie and Russell to South Northwest Highway. The figure at that time was suggested as perhaps a cost of $60,000.00, the village to stand two-thirds of the cost and any damages to private property. Imminent at this writing seems to be an underpass at Spring Street; of the greatest need with only two railroad crossings, and in this time of several diesel units hauling freight trains of such over one hundred cars, blocking both crossings in case of fire department movement to the other side of the track or ambulance speed to the hospital when every minute counts.

Better Lighting in the Business District was brought about February 5, 1931 by larger lights on tall cement poles at $75.00 each, paid for by special assessment on the business houses as spread by Reuben G. Plagge.

Privies. Ordinance No. 257 of November 1, 1936 prohibited existing outdoor toilets and further building of cesspools. Another menace was banished; typhoid has become a rarity and the sewer and water system can be thanked for the blessing,

Storm Water. In 1936, because of the storm water running away through the sanitary sewer and flooding the treatment plant and the outlet stream, the dual system of 1926 was divided into two systems of drainage, much of its storm tile along the tree banks and connecting at the corner catch basins. It cost $388,000.00, operation beginning July 1, 1936.

A Band Tax of one mill was omitted on June 16, 1939 by Ordinance No. 281 to foster and perpetuate a village band, because Barrington folk have always been lovers of music. In 1941 a band tax of one-half of one cent was voted.

A Planning Commission was established November 18, 1946 by the Board, Ordinance No. 462, to be of seven members plus the President of the Board to study the growth of the village and to advise as to its control. This commission to serve with him, appointed by Earl Hatje, was composed of Martin H. Schreiber, R.M. Lines, Sandfort Rieke, Dr. Kleinwachter, Lee Smith and K.K. Lilien. This Planning Commission has been very diligent and has done a real service to the village. They are called in on major rezoning cases to advise on their over-all long-range plan. In 1957, Evert Kincaid and Associates, Inc. began a study of our future, with a map of the periferi zone, in view of our permission to express our wishes to the County Board in that surrounding area as to occupation.

Board of Health. Further work in community health was considered necessary in promoting better conditions in many ways, inspecting all eating places, co-operating with schools in epidemics and general health protection. So on January 21, 1948, a Board of Health was appointed: Dr. B.P. Graber, Dr. James C. Plagge, Dr. Galen and Lawrence Barrett.

The Chamber of Commerce was revived an January 21, 1948 with officers: Arthur Conrad as President, Emil Miller as Vice President, Dayton Nance as Secretary. Their projects have kept them busy ever since. In 1958 they began the policy of maintaining a paid secretary with a downtown office.

The Civilian Defense Council of the Barrington area was authorized by the Village Board of Trustees during World War II under authority of Ordinance No. 419 to "Co-ordinate efforts with National Defense and to co-operate with war service efforts". Its organization was on December 17, 1941 subsequent to Presidential suggestion in May, 1941. It was composed of Earl Hatje as Chairman, Martin H. Schreiber as Vice Chairman, Howard R. Brintlinger as Co-ordinator, Mrs. Paul Schroeder as Treasurer, J.R. Caldwell, Mrs. Paul Clark, Goerge Dittrich, Dr. B.P. Graber, Frank A. Hecht, Arnold H. Sass, Roy E. Willmering and Mrs. Robert G. Work. It disbanded in 1948. The $501.00 balance left in the treasury was turned over to the Police Department and applied toward the purchase of a two-way radio for the squad car.

Hawkers, Peddlers, and Solicitors Licenses. The nuisance of door-to-door salesmen was somewhat abated by Ordinance No. 226, Solicitors were required by Ordinance No. 279 as of June 25, 1934 to first pay a fee and then obtain a license from the village clerk.

A Welcome Wagon was begun in 1948 by Mrs. Eleanor R. Treat. In her Welcome Wagon she calls on each newcomer and extends them a cordial welcome.

A Police Board to examine all recruits for police service was permitted by a vote of 279 to 83 at the election of 1955. This advisory comittee was appointed: Tom Pettise, William Larley and Roy Wilmering. A special corps of police in full uniform was organized in October of that year for emergency calls or extra services and have done a fine job of augmenting our fine regular force.

Hospital. Barrington had a hospital in the former Harry Aurand home at the southeast corner of Hough and Lincoln operated by Miss Nellie Berghorn, R.N. It served our comunity in a most excellent way during its few years.

The Safety Council was organized in November of 1953 and held its first meeting January 14, 1954 at the police station. Alfred D. Church as Chairman of the Safety Committee of the Lions Club felt keenly the need of attention to the increasing dangers to people in the many walks of life, and to the prevention of resulting accidents. He called together representatives from various groups and organizations and the schools. Many previously unheeded dangerous habits and risks were reviewed and their prevention considered. He appointed five committees from Church, schools, business,and society: Streets and Highways, Industrial Business, Home Life and School and Children. In co-operation with the Village Board and chief of Police Smith, many changes in bad practices and danger spots were made, together with new rules and controls, instruction by way of posters, brochures, school talks on safety and bicycle riding and other proper items, which did fine work. Red warning tape on car bumpers soon appeared. Very attractive raincoats were presented to school boy patrols. The Council meets every month, and never a meeting is held but what some live issue is on the agenda.

The Village Board of Trustees Moves. During the years that the Library occupied the large front room of the Village Hall on the second floor, the Village Board met in the back row. When the Library moved in 1957 to its own new building, the Board of Trustees had the front room thus vacated redecorated and resumed meeting there on November 25.

New Quarters for the Other Officers. Up to 1951 the police department had a small cubby hole room in the Village Hall over stairway for its chief, Ernest Baade. The Fire Department had the north half of the front part of the first floor and the Village Clerk and the Treasurer had the south half of the first floor. The rear half was the boiler room, coal bin and Jail. More room was needed for the necessary expansion of Fire Department, Police Department and the municipal clerical staff, all of whom had ideas of growth and better service. Trustee John H.D. Blanke headed a committee and offered plans to revamp the downstairs, giving it all to Clerk, Treasurer, and President, and moving the rest to more commodious quarters. The DX garage on Station Street was taken over in 1951 and plans drawn to rebuild. Result: the police had a main floor large office, allowing room for radio, phones, comforts for night men, a jail -- seldom used -- and a police court. Barrington had never had a place for police trials, except an occasional large case in the Village Hall. The Fire Department needed space for drying hose and more room for several more fire trucks which they could see were needed.

Dutch Elm Disease began its invasion of our area in 1956. At the election of November 17th of that year, it was voted by 285 to 88 to appropriate $20,000.00 to fight the dreaded pest that was killing the beautiful shade trees in some communities by trimming out dead wood and spraying. The work was organized, pruning was done in 1957, and regular spraying was carried on by Harold Roth.

Politics. Barrington has always been predominately Republican in politics. At one election, probably in 1896, we are told that there was but one Damocratic vote cast and that was a gold Democrat. Could it be? Political rallies were held in halls and a program of singing, music and political candidates' speeches were heard. Squire Lester D. Castle usually presided at Republican Rallies. In the 1890's a quartet of Frank and Phillip Hawley, Dr. C.H. Kendall and Lewis H. Benett sang. If the Democrats ventured a rally, it was M.B. McIntosh who presided. Our village has been honored by some of its citizens being in the Legislature: George Ela, Homer Willmarth and Harold Kelsey as Representatives, and Jack Graham as Senator (1959).

A Police Magistrate was authorized by the incorporation act of 1869 to serve both parts of the village lying in the two counties. Nevertheless, in January, 1952, because of a decision of the Supreme Court, the office of Police Magistrate in Barrington was found to be in two counties and conflict in jurisdiction was deemed possible. The office was abolished in 1952. Yet A.C. Lines in one of his two terms as such officer was recognized and comissioned by both Lake and Cook Counties. The Police Magistrate has the same jurisdiction as a Justice of the Peace but is elected by the Village while the Justice of the Peace is elected by the people of the township. So the Justices of the Peace since then have taken turns sitting every Saturday morning in Police court.

Those who filled the Police Magistrate office in the Village were:

George Ela

April 5, 1869

M.B. McIntosh

March 29, 1870 - serving 10 years

Lester D. Castle

May 6, 1880

Harvey E. Harnden

May 10, 1881

Ed. R. Clark

May 12, 1885 - serving 8 years

Lester D. Castle

May, 1893 - serving 8 years

M.C. McIntosh

May, 1901

Charles H. Morrison

May, 1904

Arnett C. Lines

May, 1905 - serving 8 years

Tom H. Creet

1925

Lewis H. Bennett

Alfred D. Church

1933

Arnold H. Sass

Ted G. Shafer

1949


The office was abolished by court decision in January 1952 but was reestablished by a new law in 1961, sponsored by Senator John A. Graham of Barrington.

Garbage. Willful disposal or dumping of garbage has long been declared not only unsightly but unhealthy. Ordinance No. 282 prohibited it. A village dump was ordered in 1943 to be established by Ordinance No. 434, at the north end of North Hager Street for such trash. After its misuse by some beyond us, a fence was put up and the gate locked which was opened by an attendant for use two days a week by those with permits for usage signed by the Village Clerk. Garbage pick up from door to door two days a week in the village conducted by Vandeveer as the Barrington Trucking Company was taken over by the village January 1, 1959 at the same price for service, $3.00. In consequence, the village dump was closed an of December 31, 1958 and all permits for its use were revoked. The ground at the north end of Hager Street at the Railway was more than full, was a harbor for rodents and its burning was a source of great annoyance to all in line with the breeze from it. Thus, another village improvement.

Fire crackers were banned and fireworks were regulated by Ordinances No. 277, 289 and 423. Accidents from promiscuous usage brought about this restriction.

Village Flag. The American Legion Post #158 sought ideas and designs for a village flag. The design offered by Thomas Sullivan, a Barrington High School student living in Biltmore, was accepted as the most desirable and fitting, and was presented to the village authorities in December, 1956.

Parking. 1957 was the year of parking lot expansion, begun that year and finished in 1958. The west end of the part on Spring Street was paved and a parking free gate at the exit at the east end of Lake Street was established. The slough north of the track and south of Station Street was paved after considerable filling east of Spring Street. A fee gate was installed at the exit on Wool Street. In the depot park along the railroad, sometimes called "The Jungle", the bushes were eliminated but the trees were saved. The rest was paved and parking meters were installed.

Test Survey for Unassessed Property

There was much talk in 1955 that all property, especially the new homes, had not been placed on the Assessor's rolls and that all were not paying their share of taxes, and that taxing bodies limited by a certain rate were not receiving all the income they needed, especially the schools. Some townships had found a considerable amount to the taxable valuation.

A meeting of combined school districts, both elementary and high, with the town and village voted to hire Miss Edith O'Connel of Palatine, who had experience in ferreting out omissions on assessment rolls. F.C. Thomas, Superintendent of both elementary District #4 and High School District #224 and his assistant Roland Lundahl supervised the work. Only sections 1, 12 and 13 in the northeast corner of the township were ordered to be surveyed as a test of what would be accomplished. The result was that a few parcels of property were found not on the assessment rolls, yet some of them were going through the routine to be placed there or adjustment were being made, while some corrections were made, and the survey seemed to tighten the system to preclude any further omissions. The Assessor was commended in doing a splendid job. Further survey of the township was deemed unnecessary.

Newspaper

THE HERALD was probably our first local newspaper. It was a one-sheet, four page weekly published by Attorney W.G. Alden of Palatine, Illinois. News of Barrington and Palatine with business and professional ads of both villages were on the front page. The back page had a short editorial or two, and more ads which were not so local. The inside of the folded sheet was probably of the kind already printed before it came to the local printer. The news items were quite homely, some quite funny, and were much of small town talk. At the top of the left it said that ads were $100.00 a column for a year. A square was $12.00 a year which was usually a professional card. The copies we have seen were of 1883 and 1884; so we are sure the paper must have been published before and after that time. Some of its ads and items will be quoted further along.

Miles T. Lamey began editing and publishing THE BARRINGTON REVIEW in 1885, we are told. The paper was set by the stick and font of type method upstairs in the little old frame lime building of Lamey & Co. which stood on North Cook Street where the Northern Lights Restaurant is now. He had a hand press in that one room office. Later he had a larger press, a hand power rotary in the west half of the Lamey brick building at 240 East Main Street. The hand power, irksome to a boy's back, was replaced by the first gasoline engine made by Arnold Schauble, Sr. in his machine shop at the southwest corner of Cook and Franklin Streets.

On the death of Mr. Lamey in 1930, after an illustrious life as Bank Cashier, Editor and Publisher, County Supervisor, Insurance Agent, Village Clerk and Village President, Leslie B. Paddock, who had begun his service with THE REVIEW in 1906, continued to manage the paper till it was sold. Mr. Paddock, with the exception of seven years in military service and his work with the Harvard (Illinois) paper, was with the REVIEW until 1931. Not only did he have the background for the work, but he had lived here, knew the community and its people.

In April of 1931, Leslie W. McClure bought THE REVIEW and had his office and press in the empty August W. Meyer building at the northeast corner of Main and Hough, later moving to the George Comstock Willard Abbott house at 126 West Main Street.

In 1929 Loring A. Platt and Paul Schroeder bought out the PALATINE NEWS from E.J. Parke and brought it to 200 James Street in this village as the COMMUNITY COURIER. In about 1945, they bought out THE REVIEW and the name became THE COURIER REVIEW. Because of heavy commercial printing, three newspaper and magazine publishing, their business name now is THE BARRINGTON PRESS, and they have continued to enlarge their plant, the first building of which was George Stiefenhoefer's shop. Mr. John H.D. Blanke was editor for awhile until Mr. Paddock came back to the editorship after finishing fifteen years as Barrington Postmaster and continued his editorial work until his retirement in 1961.

Barrington had another weekly newspaper, THE BARRINGTON NEWS, edited and published by Mr. Coykendall in the east half of the Garret Landwer building at the southeast corner of Cook and Station Streets. After a comparatively short time they ceased to exist.

In THE HERALD of September 1883, Luke Colburn (at 232 East Main on the north side) was advertising "spring and summer dress goods, sheeting, oil cloth, wallpaper, tea, shoes and groceries". Mrs. S.M. Cronk was offering "at wholesale prices my entire stock of hair goods, consisting of Saratoga and Bernhardt waves, Langtry bangs, frizzes, switches, etc.".

Frank C. Dunning's card was auctioneer and said "will attend to farm and cattle auctions anywhere in Northern Illinois. Satisfaction guaranteed".

Henry T. Abbott, besides the usual line of drugs, patent medicines and perfumery and "prescriptions carefully put up", offered stationery and newspapers of all kinds always on hand", and "watch and clock repairing a specialty".

William Grunau's ad read "If you want a good dish of ice cream or a glass of sparkling soda water or lemonade, also strawberries and other fruits in a season, a fine collection of cigars, tobacco, candies, canned goods etc., fresh roasted peanuts. One door east of Stott's store." He later became the village barber, but retained the peanut roasting business for years.

William T. Stott's half a column of merchandise and prices is a revelation in prices and was headed "Barrington's Cheapest Stores".

He offered:

10 lbs granulated sugar

$1.00

11 lbs extra C. sugar

1.00

12 lbs brown sugar

1.00

7 lbs beat green coffee

1.00

7 lbs roasted coffee

1.00

10 lbs prunes

1.00

13 lbs dried peaches

1.00

cans tomatoes

1.00

6 cans Elgin corn

1.00

10 cans lye

1.00

12 lbs Carolina rice

1.00

2 lbs best uncolored Japan Tea

1.00

16 lb bars soap (Kirks & Co.)

1.00

21 bars Town Talk soap (P&G)

1.00

4 lbs saleratus

.25

4 lbs axle grease

.25

10 boxes sardines

1.00

1 bushel corn - basket

.22

good boots

2.50

custom made shoes

2.00

prints, per yard

.06

36-inch cotton cloth, per yard

.08

7-inch plates - per set

.55


Further, besides a general line of dry goods, he had satchels and "school books of every kind and description" and "the celebrated Elgin flour", and "entire satisfaction or money refunded".

William Howarth in the next block west on the same street -- Park Avenue now -- headed his two-thirds of a column "The Nimble Nickel Variety Store" (where the National Bank addition is now on Park Avenue) "where cash wins and cash tells". Some of his prices for the same merchandise were the same and many were higher. Other items were: 50 good cigars, $1.00; Hyson tea, .65; custom made hip boots were $3.00 but custom made calf boots were $5.00. "All other goods in proportion", he carried hardware, dry goods, clothing, millinery, bonnets, trimmings, ribbons, yankee notions, embroideries, etc. "I have laid in the finest suits in town from $5.00 up." He said further that he gave 5% off for cash on all except sugar, flour, butter and eggs.

"Milton E. Henderson, Auctioneer. Will attend to law practice in Justice Courts. Conveyancing done. Satisfaction guaranteed."

"Mr. C. Dickinson of the Old Reliable Drug Store in Barrington always has on hand a good collection of the purest drugs. His patent medicines are purchased direct from the manufacturers, and therefore have not become worthless from lying upon the shelves of wholesale dealers for ages." He had the usual other items, including paint and watches. He quoted: "Jewelry repairs by a competent workman at about half the usual rates." "All work warranted."

An out-of-town ad read: "Little Henry is always pleased to see his friends at his place in the basement of 34 North Wells Street opposite the Northwestern Depot, Chicago. Wines, beer, cigars, etc." (That was when the depot was at Kinzie and Wells which was Wells only north of the river.)

H.H. Church's card spoke of his being dealer in agricultural implements of all kinds, and The New Easterly Twine Binder made for the trade of 1883.

Harvey A. Harnden had a Marble Works "at prices below others".

D.H. Richardson had a card as physician and surgeon. Another was H.W. Dornbusch, Physician and Surgeons Deutcher Arzt. First door north of Abbott's Drug Store.

M.B. McIntosh, who by that time had sold out his lumber yard, had a business card in THE HERALD stating he was a Justice of the Peace, Conveyancer, Collection Agent, Notary Public and Real Estate Agent.

One news item stated that Harry Kampart was under the care of Dr. Richardson for a bad gash over his eye caused by a falling timber in the barn; that Rev. Chase of Wyoming T. and Rev. Nate were at Camp meeting. There was some difficulty with a certain seed corn that made stalks grow to eleven feet tall or better with little or no ears of corn on the stalk. One farmer figured his loss at $2,000.00.

A later issue ran an ad for A.S. Henderson, agent for certain stoves and ranges and a "full line of hardware, barbed wire etc." Other ads were the same as earlier issues. A news item spoke of Gillman Goodell going to western Kansas for his health. Another news item said that "Mrs. Captain L.A. Kimberly is leaving here for Washington, D.C. to join her husband of the U.S. Navy Examining Board". He was a brother of Gus Kimberly of Honey Lake Road who married a cousin of Theodore Roosevelt. Another item told of Clarence Wheeler and Gus Kimberly going on a hunting trip. Another that Fred Hawley had moved from the house across from the Zion Church to his place on Grove Avenue and was commended by THE HERALD for landscaping the place as a neighborly example. Scattered among the news items was frequent mention of Leroy Power's stock of rubber boots; that M.B. McIntosh had for sale twenty swarms of bees ready for winter in Langstroth hives.

The time table listed six daily trains going in and seven coming out from Chicago. 9:05 p.m. was the last train home from the city and 5:35 p.m. was the last train out of here to Chicago. E.W. Dunton was agent.

Personal mention is made of former citizens: Miss Nutting, Miss Lizzie Fitch, Henry Mangersen, John Harrower, Eli Bute and his sons, Dr. Roberts, Ida Simonds, George Comstock, Jr., Ally Willmarth, of his brother Henry, Professor Comstock, Mrs. Linus B. Lines of Harvard, H.H. Church being very sick. There were many personal quips, some sarcasm and some jibes. One item reads: "Is it gravel or yellow clay that is put on our streets? If we have got to have mud (grammar was not in order) then we prefer that good old black mud to this nasty yellow stuff."

In the issue of December 6, 1884 Mr. Sanford Peck's ad appears with much the same general merchandise at prices mentioned by others. Some interesting items were:

14 lbs granulated sugar

$1.00

18 lbs yellow sugar

$1.00

Men's work boots

$1.87

Men's arctics

$1.35

Ladies arctics

$.98

Ladies rubbers

$.39

Men's suits

$9.50 to $12.50

Men's overcoats

$6.00 to $12.00

Ladies wool underwear

$1.00

Hoods

$.35 to $.87


If these prices seem to us shockingly low, do remember that wages were low too. We recall of men who worked at hard labor in the sun for ten hours at $1.50 a day, raised a family and paid for a home.

The Roller Skating Rink was to "be open Wednesdays and Saturdays, afternoons and evenings, Saturday evening after Lyceum".

Another item said that M.B. McIntosh had "built a bridge on Lake Street over the raging Kilgobbin". That is a creek running north midway of the western part of the village. Mr. McIntosh had recently bought the land west of Hough Street and laid out west Hawley (Lincoln) and Lake Streets to the top of the hill and was selling off the lots as houses were being built.

Societies, Clubs, and Lodges

True to the nature of mankind, our people have sought the company of others for companionship, protection, mutual assistance or early entertainment. The early spelling bees, quilting parties, or debating societies, were the germs that grow into more and larger organizations. Barn raisings, butchering and thrashing groups were prevalent in the rural parts. Lodges, growing out of the guilds of England, were plentiful in America, and Barrington had its share. It was often said: "Barrington is lodged to death". It was a distress of the Church that attention was diverted to the lodge, or failed to go beyond the lodge to the Spiritual Church. Yet the lodge in its vows of fraternity did a fine job of practical assistance, augmenting the principals of the Church.

I.O.O.F.The Independent Order of Oddfellows was chartered in Barrington August 14, 1902 as Lodge #856. Those who demitted from other lodges to organize here were: Rev. C.D. Mayhew, Atty. Lewis H. Bennett as secretary, Atty. M.C. McIntosh as Noble Grand, Isaac B. Fox and Silas Robertson. The Charter members were: Frank J. Alverson, Ed M. Blocks, John Blaine, Ray C. Cannon, Charles Dill, Carl Ernst, Edward C. Groff, J. Frank Hollister, William Cannon, E.K. Magee, Emil C. Naeher, Steve J. Palmer, Otto Rieke, Ed Rieke, Atty. George W. Spunner, William B. Shales, Henry T. Schroeder, Ed. C. Thies, William H. Voss, Paul J. Vernon, Ed F. Wichman, Sr., George M. Wagner and Eb. L. Wilmer.

Its principal aims are mutual aid, relief of distress, and the support of an old folks home and an orphans home which in Illinois are at Mattoon and Lincoln respectively. Its subordinate lodge is composed of four degrees. At one time the degree team of the Barrington Lodge used to do the conferring of degrees on candidates for Palatine, Wauconda and Cary in addition to its own work. The lodge in Barrington closed in 1957 to 1958 and its members transferred to Carpentersville.

The Rebekah Lodge #494, the auxilliary of the Oddfellows, organized in Barrington November 17, 1904 and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1954. It is still in thriving condition.

The Modern Woodman of America, an insurance order, established its lodge in Barrington in 1888 or 1889 -- probably the latter year. That lodge here had a very large membership and for years had their Memorial Day services to decorate the graves of deceased brothers here on the Sunday following the G.A.R. Memorial Day of May 30th. They had a band and a long line of members in the parade which marched to the cemetary, decorated members' graves with a memorial service and had a male quartet singing. They ceased holding meetings in 1954 but insurance dues were paid to a local secretary so that its members could "maintain their insurance policies which were placed on an old line rate".

Other Lodges about the turn of the century were the Macabees and the Court of Honor, one of which used to meet in a hall over Schwemm's Livery. The Knights of The Globe used to meet in Sodt's Hall but was absorbed by an old line insurance company. The Mystic Workers of the World kept up meetings for a longer period, till they, too, were absorbed by an old line insurance.

A Masonic Lodge, Lounsbury Lodge #751 A.F. & A.M. was instituted September 2, 1877 and was named for Mr. George Lounsbury who was Grand Master of Masons in Illinois in 1874 and 1875. A charter was granted October 4, 1877 to the following Master Masons after whose names is given to the office to which each was elected or appointed:

Edgar Isbell

Worshipful Master

Charles Jamison

Senior Warden

George B. Stevens

Junior Warden

Henry G. (Luke) Willmarth

Treasurer

Leroy Powers

Secretary

John W. White

Senior Deacon

Albert G. Gleason

Junior Deacon

Robert Purcell

Senior Steward

Charles T. Miller

Junior Steward

Charles B. Otis

Tyler


Parris Sinnett, George Ela, George Ohnsman, Hiram N. Lombard, Leonard Ingalls, George W. Gillson, A.M. Whadon, W.A. Loomis, William H. Loomis, Thomas Blakey, John F. Skinner, George Burlingham, Joseph P. Brown.

Their first meeting place was probably over Hank Abbott's Drug Store at 111 South Cook Street. August W. Meyer built a two-story brick store building in the cattail pond at the northeast corner of Hough and Main Streets and this lodge occupied the northeast corner of the floor, the Vemilya Hotel occupying the rest of the floor until the fire of 1898 broke out in the store (no water works or fire department as yet) and the whole block burned out. No property of the Masonic Lodge was saved and all records were burned.

Their next home was on the third floor of the Commercial Hotel at 232 East Main Street. From there they moved to the second floor over the Schroeder Hardware Company at the southwest corner of Cook and Station. There a new chapter was written in their history. They wanted a hall of their own posession and to put their outgoing rent into a home which they could arrange and occupy according to their needs and taste.

A Masonic building Corporation was organized, composed and officerized by the members of the lodge. So in 1931 they bought from the Methodist Society the former church building on South Cook Street. The tall steeple which graced the northeast corner and the shorter one at the southeast corner and its colored windows were of the English Gothic style. After its belfry was twice struck by lightning and rebuilt, both steeples were removed. The members did much of their own work of every kind in remodeling and refurbishing. After a very few years of good management, the last obligation on the purchase of the property was paid off. They have a large membership which includes many fifty-year members.

The I.O.G.T. The Independent Order of Good Templars was thriving before the turn of the century.

W.C.T.U. Very early mention is found of the Women's Christian Temperance Union which still meets regularly.

Y.M.C.A. The "Y" was well organized and met in rooms over the Stiefenhoefer blacksmith shop an East Main Street. They had a front room for offices and meetings and a large back room well equipped with athletic features such as boxing gloves, punching bags, a wrestling mat, etc. They had a baseball team called Omnes Vita which found plenty of opponents, for Barrington has probably never been without several ball teams.

Croquet has long been a source of enjoyment to group of men who have always acquired a professional skill in keen competition not only here at home but have gone afar to bring home the laurels of victory. The first ground was in Charles Otis' yard an Lake Street where #110 East is now -- square steel arches, hard sanded ground and plank borders. Their next place was Al Henderson's yard where the Hollister home is at 129 West Station. They moved next to a more prominent place -- in front of the Village Hall on Hough Street where the cement parking slab is now. Their fame grow and the Chicago Tribune ran a full page feature with pictures of some of its faithful who were usually retired men or those who were practicing for retirement. Lights were strung up for evening playing. They next moved to their present ground on Applebee Street west of Garfield in the lot adjacent to the old Bowman Dairy Plant.

In an old directory of 1908 the Guardians of Liberty are listed as an active secret society.

The Order of the Eastern Star was instituted in Barrington on March 8, 1902, has always had a strong membership and still leads an active life. It is affiliated with the Masonic Order. Some of its charter members lived for many years, even up near its fiftieth year. At the time of their 50th Anniversary in Barrington there were two charter members still living, Mrs. Cora Purcell and Mrs. Louella Austin.

The Barrington Bethel of Jobs Daughters #106 was organized in April of 1960 with a beginning of 40 girls.

The Knights of Columbus organized a lodge in Barrington and held its first meeting January 4, 1955.

The Order of Moose Lodge #1616 began in Barrington in 1951. In 1958 in February they moved into their own hall on Station Street in what used to be called Stott's Hall. The Loyal Order of Moose is proud to be the sponsor of Moosehart, Illinois.

The Chautauqua Circle was a group who studied history, art, literature, met in its members homes, took examinations and received diplomas. They disbanded some time back in the 1910's.

The Barrington Social and Athletic Club made up of young men of the community had its club rooms on Park Avenue over the cigar and candy store in the frame building where the Continental Hardware Company store has been. They had a room equipped with boxing gloves, punching bag, and such attractions of athletics, all much used. A smoking and social room looked out over the busy part of town.

The Deutche Sing Verine composed of men of German origin who loved to sing met over Emil Schaede's Harness Shop.

The Thursday Club was a very prominent social group in its day and drew its members from the leading women of the community. It flourished in the 1890's and early 1900's until time took its toll of members.

The Portia Club was made up of girls after graduation from high school to continue the friendships of school days. The group stuck together faithfully for many years and faded out only because of the death of many of its members.

The Natural History Club a group interested in the many wonders and beauties of nature both here and elsewhere have hold very instructive and interesting meetings featured by good speakers and prominent people of experience, and by pictures and studies in natural colors.

The League of Women Voters established itself in 1939 with Mrs. George Fairweather as President. Its purpose had always been to keep its members posted on the fitness and ability of each candidate for office and to boost the worthy causes in civic affairs. It holds an open forum before elections asks candidates to speak before their public gatherings and thus inform our people of their principals and for what they stand.

The Barrington Woman's Club. A group of civic minded ladies "motivated by a desire to establish a cultural organization" founded the Barrington Woman's Club in August of 1914. Its charter members were Mrs: William J. Cameron, Mrs. W.G. Carmichael, Mrs. H.P. Castle, Mrs. A.G. Gieske, Mrs. E. Graham, Mrs. Fred Hawley, Mrs. R.W. Jones, Mrs. Joseph Nightingale, Mrs. R.G. Plagge, Mrs. John Schwemm, Mrs. William Shearer, Mrs. E.S. Smith, Mrs. George W. Spunner, Mrs. Fred Stott, Mrs. L.S. Winegar, Mrs. Robert G. Work, Miss Eva Castle.

This community was in great need of a library. Books were being loaned to friends over Cameron's Drug Store counter. Mrs. George Ela had left $1,000.00 for that purpose, and this club went to work on the project, making it a success and continuing to foster it. Their programs were very often featured by a prominent person to talk on some cultural or civic subject which has been reflected in the club's good work.

Its Presidents were:

1914 - Mrs. G.W. Spunner

1936 - Mrs. Lester Higgins

1918 - Mrs. W.J. Cameron

1937 - Mrs. Elzo Schutt

1919 - Mrs. Robert Work

1939 - Mrs. Robert Work

1920 - Mrs. R.R. Hammond

1942 - Mrs. Edwin L. Reed

1922 - Mrs. John Schwemm

1944 - Mrs. Gordon Cameron

1924 - Mrs. Howard Castle

1946 - Mrs. Charles B. Cook

1926 - Mrs. Fred A. Record

1949 - Mrs. Harry W. Goebel

1928 - Mrs. R.G. Plagge

1952 - Mrs. John Van Bergen

1930 - Mrs. Frank C. Pundt

1954 - Mrs. W.E. Noyes

1932 - Mrs. Elden Gieske

1955 - Mrs. Vincent R. Bliss

1934 - Mrs. Harold Grebe

1957 - Mrs. R. Wilson McCoy


Its first and second Secretaries were: Mrs. Luella Gieske and Mrs. Anna M. Lines.

The Barrington Woman's Club induced the Village Board to establish an Annual Clean-up Day; it stimulated the protection of bird life; it organized and helped to equip an Emergency Hospital; placed rubbish receptacles at strategic places; began a kindergarten and ran it for a year and a half until the Public School took it over; began the Public School Cafeteria and ran to 1927 to 1931; established a Student Loan Fund in 1931; sponsored a Girl Scout Troop since 1931; held baby clinics and sponsored the Junior Woman's Club.

This club has, among other projects, the ambition for a place of adequate quarters for its many meetings and activities, and which could truly serve as a community center. Much credit is due these earnest women.

The Garden Club of Barrington. There has been a keen interest in flowers, both indoors and out, and in gardening by the nature lovers who had moved to Barrington in the early 1920's. Outdoor life and the beauty it might add to homes, parks, and public grounds, plus the art of the fine arrangement of flowers indoors was the hobby of some of the ladies.

Mrs. Alexander Reichman is credited with the reception of the idea, and, working with Mrs. Robert Hammond and Mrs. Fred Record the Garden Club of Barrington was organized in 1925. Mrs. Hammond was the first President and Mrs. Robert Work was the second President. As soon as the Illinois Garden Club was organized, the Barrington Garden Club became a member of it, and in 1940 the local club joined the Garden Club of America.

The display of flower arrangements in the members' homes and the tours of the beautiful home gardens has been only a small part of their objectives. They have stimulated the planting of flowers and the beautification of many places; they have planted trees in school grounds and in the North Side Park. The flower garden at the Hough Street Library in pleasant memory of Mrs. Robert Hammond was one of their projects. They have always taken part in the flower and garden shows in Chicago with a display and have won many awards. The exit from the Northwest Express Tollway to the Barrington Road has recently been landscaped and named for the inspiration and activity of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Work, both lovers of nature and wild life.

There have been a number of other Garden Clubs organized in the community since.

The Lions Club was organized in Barrington in the fall of 1925. A state official of the Lions came here and inquired of leading men about the possibility of a Lions Club. Mr. A. Robertson was the first President and John C. Cadwallader was the next President. 25 charter members began the Club.

Its aim is civic aid and benevolence. Omitting the figures, the following is prompted by a list of their projects and accomplishments in an article in the Courier Review paper.

It presents annually with the American Legion a scholarship to some worthy student going to the University of Illinois.

It Paid the bill to light up the softball field west of the swimming pool for night playing.

It sponsored the Boy Scout Troop #21.

At one time they did quite a bit of welfare work at Christmas time to the needy.

In 1939 it produced the village directory by its committee of Roy Wilmering, Dr. Kleinwachter and Fleming.

It purchased one of the sirens on the Village Hall roof along with several others which were used in civilian defense during the possible air raids of World War II.

It put into being the Barrington Park District. It purchased and donated for public use the east half of the East Park on Spring Street. The part west of Division Street was later secured by the Park District from William Clinge, which in 1958 was taken over as a parking lot.

It took to the idea of a lagoon in the Northside Park and saw it dredged.

It helped to pave the outlet of Northside Park east to Hough Street and it vas was named Lions Drive.

It presented uniforms to the High School band when the American Legion gave some musical instruments and a bass drum.

When Sherman Hospital in Elgin was in need and a drive was on, the Lions Club encouraged it substantially.

It contributed to the paving of drives adjacent to the depot when a community plan took undertook that beautification.

For some time they have enjoyed banqueting the High School athletics. It saw the need of better and bigger lights in the downtown business area.

It fostered the project to its fruition. Cement poles and larger lights were installed and the assessment spread to the businesses benefited.

In 1954 it joined in the project that had been begun by the Junior Commerce to place vapor lights on higher poles at the Cook and Main Streets crossing of the railroad and helped to its successful creation.

The Honor Roll of the World War participants which stood in the depot park about where the fountain is now, was another project.

They are pleased that one of their main program features is the annual aid to the Hadley School for the Blind at Winnetka.

Their melting pot of ideas and the impetus to success is at their weekly Monday night supper meetings. Their income is from varied projects like auto raffles, sales of brooms and carnivals. Speak to any Lion and he recalls with delight the silver jubilee in 1950 in Harvey Hamper Hall on West Station Street.

The Lions Club sponsored the Barrington Fall Festival in October of the years 1939, 1940, 1941 and 1942. Merchants in the community rented a booth in the big tent in the field on North Hough Street where the A & P Store and the ADCO are now. They showed their beat wares in most attractive and competetive ways. Many gave away prizes at stated times of drawing numbers; some gave away samples or gifts. Greater drawings by attendants were conducted for the lucky number for the grand prize, like the Plymouth Sedan in 1939. Special entertainment by famous people was staged every night. Interest was keen; attendance was large; business felt the stimulus. But it certainly involved a lot of hard work.

The Rotary Club was organized here in August of 1960 with 29 charter members with the Rev. Herbert H. Heinemann of St. Matthews Lutheran Church as President.

The Barrington Protective and Detective Association was meeting in November of 1899.

The Jaycees. The Junior Chamber of Commerce usually called the "Jaycees" was organized on April 15, 1953 to fill the desire of young men who felt the call to help in building our community and in stimulating wholesome sport and incentive among our growing youth. The first officers were: President, Charles Lou Thompson; Vice President, I. ("Brownie") Schwinn; Secretary, Ben P. Graber; and Treasurer, Edward O. Degner. The directors were: Don C. Kramer, Walter E. Pederson, Howard A. Wenzel and Chester Bragg. Since 1953 they have sponsored the Easter morning egg hunt in North Park; in the nine year contributing to the downtown vapor lights; and the Little League Baseball. The downtown Christmas lighting has been a chore to anyone, however gladsome the results. The Jaycees handled that for sometime. The rodeo driving test at the high school was another project. They have worked with other organizations in getting out the vote at elections, commendable to American citizenship.

Boy Scouts. The Boy Scout movement in America began in 1910. Dr. George Lytle was instrumental in its organization in Barrington in about 1914 and was their first Scoutmaster here. After him, John C. Cadwallader was Scoutmaster for a period of time. Further records are not found till the organization of the Northwest Suburban Council which was incorporated 1926.

Boy Scout Troop 10 was the first one and is still active. That Troop has been sponsored by the Salem Church, by the Chamber of Commerce, by a citizens group and by the Methodist Church. They have had an average membership of thirty-three with a high of sixty-three. Boy Scout Troop 21 which has been sponsored by the Lions Club ever since it began, was organized before 1929. Some of that Troop's Scoutmasters were of long service, the longest being that of Roy Willmering from 1936 until late in 1947 when he resigned for attention to his ill health.

Boy Scout Troop 29 sponsored by St. Paul Evangelical Sunday School with Chris Sommerfield as Scoutmaster was organized October 24, 1932, It was discontinued in 1940 but was revived by the North Barrington P.T.A. in November of 1951.

Boy Scout Troop 44 was sponsored by the Countryside School and began in October of 1944 but became inactive after 1948.

Boy Scout Troop 210 organized April 1, 1956 and sponsored by the V.F.W., was discontinued in 1960 but was taken over by St. Mark's Episcopal Church.

Boy Scout Troop 183 was a sponsored by St. Matthew Lutheran Church and began in May of 1960.

Cub Pack 102, sponsored by Post 158 of the American Legion, began with O.J. Baird as Cubmaster in 1931 followed by Henry F. Dorwalt for three years. In 1935 this Pack was called #200 and Noell Stayner was Cubmaster for five years.

Cub Pack 29 began in October of 1949 and was sponsored by a group of citizens of North Barrington, but in 1953 became sponsored by the North Barrington P.T.A.

Cub Pack 246, sponsored by the Methodist Church since 1952 was discontinued in 1959.

Cub Pack 137 started in June of 1954 and was sponsored by the Holy Name Society of St. Anne Catholic Church, but since 1956 has been sponsored by the Queen of Peace Council of the Knights of Columbus.

Cub Pack 29 began in 1957 and was sponsored by the North Barrington P.T.A.

Cub Pack 183 was sponsored by St. Matthew Lutheran Church in February of 1960.

Explorer Post 10, beginning in November of 1956 was sponsored by the Methodist Church but was discontinued in 1960.

Explorer Post 29 was sponsored in April of 1953 by the North Barrington P.T.A. but discontinued in 1959.

Explorer Post 21 started again in April of 1955 and was sponsored by the Barrington Lions Club.

The Sea Scouts was organized here by William Staehle.

Since 1927 to date, there have been forty-four who have earned the rank of Eagle Scout in Barrington. A summary of all this shows that Barrington has the activity of seven Packs, four Troops and one Explorer Unit.

The list is too long to give here the names of the many fine men who have given generously of time and talent as Scoutmasters and leaders. Yet any record of the Scouts in this community would be incomplete without a further word about Roy Willmering who was Scoutmaster for at least eleven years, and even when he was out of it, because of ill health, he was still in it. He used to say: "We have no children of our own, so all of these boys are ours". During his time as Commissioner, among other accomplishments, the Russell Street Scout Cabin was built by WPA labor (1933). The Government matched local funds ($495.00) and labor dollar for dollar. Roy says that sixty-two of his boy scouts were in World War II with the loss of but one Scout. That was Pilot Jack Ross who was lost in action over enemy territory.

Boy Scout Troop 21, sponsored by the Barrington Lions Club, conducted during World War II a very successful drive for the sale of war bonds and stamps which began after April of 1941 and continued for about four years. Those forty-two boys were everywhere delivering war stamps to homes in response to phone calls by the women who had been economizing expense money for that purpose. The authorities over this area were so surprised at the large call for more stamps that someone was sent out here to observe the work. There was a steady call at Roy Willmering's place on Cook Street for bonds. This group had the distinction of being told they were the only Boy Scout Troop to be officially recognized as a war bonding agency. Bonds were issued and signed here. Roy said sometimes they worked well into the late night.

The sum thus accumulated was $850,000.00 from stamps and $1,000,000.00 for bonds. It was used in the purchase of a B17 Bomber, twenty jeeps, an ambulance aircraft and a fighter plane. The local people wondered for years what had happened to the rescue plane, the bomber and the other planes until in July of 1962 when Village President John Blanke received word from Western Australia that the 5 by 7 plastic plaque mounted on a walnut base attached to the bull of the rescue ship C36-283 was in their keeping. Such rescue ships had been used among the Pacific Islands, but this one had been part of the Royalist Australian Navy, as related by the correspondence of 1944 and the picture of the B17 bomber in the Chicago Tribune of Sunday, August 19, 1962. The wording on the plaque is:

THIS FIGHTING SHIP IS SPONSORED AND MADE POSSIBLE BY THE WAR BONDS AND STAMPS PURCHASES OF THE PEOPLE OF BARRINGTON, ILLINOIS.

The plaque, at Mr. Blanke's request, was sent here and is now in the keeping of the Lions Club. It was a gratifying homecoming, especially to Mr. Willmering and his boys. So far, the fate of the planes has not been learned.

Soon after the incorporation of the Northwest Suburb Council in 1926, three of our men interested in scouting were placed on their Board of Directors: John L. Bell, Sr. who was its President for a time; Hugh Calkins, who was Vice President at one time; and Roy Willmering. Mr. Bell is still a Director.

From the very outset of this wonderful work, there has been a keenness of purpose resulting in successful character building of the boys. Many men look back, not only with happy memories of the fun, the hikes, the camp fires, but with joy in the moral and social training and in self reliance they instilled in the boys. The scoutmasters look back with equal pride in mentioning the fine men who, when boys, were in their troops.

Girl Scouts. The Camp Fire Girls was organized here in about 1933 by Miss Partridge, daughter of Attorney Partridge of West Main Street. After some years of thriving operation, they and the Blue Birds merged with the Brownies and the Girl Scouts. Girl Scouting in Barrington was organized by Mrs. Robert Muir of the Women's Club in 1933. The first leaders were Mrs. Olive Catlow, Miss Mildred Miller and Miss Mary Roller. Their first meeting place was in the Methodist Church. Through its worthiness and popularity and through effective leadership there are at the present time in Barrington sixteen troops; seven Brownie Troops, eight Intermediate Troops, one Senior Girls Scout Troop, making a total of 286 girls. In North Barrington there are four Brownie Troops and four Intermediate Troops making a total of eight Troops with 90 girls. In the Barrington area, there is a grand total of 376 Girl Scouts.

Sea Scouts. Mr. William Staehle organized the Sea Scouts here in 1936 as Ship 100 and was its Skipper until 1941. They first met in the coffee roasting room of the Jewel Tea Company who were the sponsors of this group, but met later in the Scout Cabin on Russell Street. The Sea Scouts wanted aquatic equipment and through the kindness of Jewel's President, M.H. Karcher who was a formal Naval Commander and his son-in-law Clay Watkins, they received from the U.S. Navy a former submarine chaser which was moved here by August Scherf at a cost, including a number of license fees, of $4,000.00. This boat with its mahogany trimmed cabin was placed in the Lagoon in North Side Park. A twelve foot sail boat was used on Otis Lake in the summertime with the consent of the neighbors. They also procured a fourteen foot snubnosed gaff rigger, a row boat and life preserves. They enjoyed a full grown activity and learned much of the basic principals of nautical life. About twenty-five boys went thru this training group. Awards of merit were given in ceremonies in the Hough Street gymnasium. Once these scouts were the guests at the Great Lakes Training Station for a day and an evening's entertainment and were taken out on a cruise on Lake Michigan. At Jewel picnics the Sea Scouts were in uniform in boats on the Jewel Lagoon lending atmosphere to the occasion. Later the Sea Scouts here united with the Boy Scouts. The boat on the North Side Park lagoon burned up.

4-H. This community is favored with 4-H Clubs. The Barrington Pioneers 4-H Club was organized in 1953 by Walter E. Johnson and Doyll Babbitt.

The Barrington Blue Birds Home Economics Club was organized in 1945 by Mrs. Albert E. Schaefer.

The Barrington 4-H Girls Club was organized by Mrs. Milton E. Parker in October of 1949.

The Flynn Valley 4-H Club for boys and girls was organized in 1956 by Mr. and Mrs. Walter E. Johnson.

The BZP's Home Economics Club was organized in 1959 by Mrs. Leon Gorski. Other leaders and helpers have since stepped in to help the organizers in this very commendable work.

The Barrington Mutual Guarantee -- Insurance Association

Our early settlers, because of a certain remoteness, had grown into the habit of neighborly assistance and necessary dependability. So the Barrington Mutual Guarantee Insurance Association, a long lived old company, was organized during the Civil War at a time when it was felt that a cooperative effort would fill a need for protection or help in time of loss by fire, wind, or thievery. Our countryside was fortunate in having men of talent in various lines that made a community of economic ability. We who knew these organizers can look back and see the successful residents of the township making a success of this Insurance Association. We quote here from the minutes of their first meeting -- which meetings were usually held in the Methodist Church at Sutton and Dundee Roads or the Congregational Church on Penny Road at the track, or in the Northway School, or in an emergency in someone's home:

"COOK COUNTY

= S S

TOWN OF BARRINGTON

We, the undersigned Citizens of the Town of Barrington, County of Cook and the State of Illinois, for the better protection of property against loss or damage by Fire, Lightning, Wind and Horse Thieves, do on this the twenty-seventh day of April A.D. 1863 mutually agree to form ourselves into a Mutual Guarantee Insurance Association. And we do by these present solemnly and firmly bind ourselves, our heirs, administrators and assigns jointly and severally forever faithfully to abide by and truly live up to this article of agreement, the charter when obtained and the by-laws of the Barrington Mutual Guarantee Insurance Association and all its rules and regulations so long as we shall belong to said Association. And we do further agree individually for and in consideration of the protection to be offered to our property against Fire, Lightning, Wind and Horse Thieves suffered by any individuals of said Association to pay to the directors thereof the amount of the assessment on our premium notes for reimbursing any member who shall have suffered loss or damage by Fire, Lightning, Wind or Horse Thieves with the expenses thereof belonging and we do hereby authorize and impower the Board of Directors to sue and collect said assessments in any Court of Law whatever within thirty days after having been duly notified of such assessments.

In witness whereof we have hereunto set our hands and seals the day and year above written:

S.W. Kingsley

(Seal)

R. Nute

(Seal)

L. Dunkles

"

G.T. Waterman

"

C.H. Browning

"

S.B. Church

"

John C. Allen

"

W.J. Miller

"

S.R. Sabin

"

E.N. Miller

"

G.W. Waterman

"

Thomas McDonald

"

J.W. Seymour

"

William Wortman

"

Harvey Seymour

"

John Fisk

"

Daniel Messer

"

Nathaniel Schnoonhoven

"

J.M. Waterman

"

Willam G. Waterman

"

A.C. Bucklin

"

Edmund Kellogg

"

H. & J.W. Kingsley

"

John Hennings

"

J.G. Irich

"

Henry Mundhenk

"

C.F. Slade

"

Fred Rieke

"

Lambert Bowman

"

Louis Gilly

"

John Hamilton

"

Adeline Selker

"

M.K. Church

"

D.S. Jencks

"

S.K. Jaynes

"

R. Stone

"

H. Rosskrants

"

John Giddings

"

Jerome Wiltsie

"

William B. Freeman

"

Gerhard Miller

"

Lambert Elfrink

"

N.G. Hendrickson

"

Lambert Landwer

"

D. Bishop, Jr.

"

John Fritz

"

Isaac Thomas

"

Alvah Miller

"

D.C. Adams

"

Nathan Wessen

"

J.M. Miller

"

John Hendrickson

"

E.W. Townsend

"

Charles Nute

"

A.T. Loomis

"

T.A. Miller

"


On Motion this meeting adjourned to meet at the M.E. Church, Barrington Center May 25, 1863.

Meeting met agreeable to adjournment meeting. Called to order by S.W. Kingsley and on motion J.W. Kingsley was chosen sec. pro tem. Meeting being organized, proceeded to the election of permanent officers of said Association for the ensuing year, The following named persons were chosen as officers:

S.W. Kingsley

President

Harvey Seymour

Vice President

J.H. Browning

Treasurer

J.W. Kingsley

Secretary

 

William G. Waterman

M.K. Church

Auditors

Lyman Dunklee


On motion a committee of two be appointed to present a charter to the Members of the Legislature from Cook County and urge the passage of the same. On motion, S.W. Kingsley, and Harvey Seymour were selected for that object. On motion, the Treasurer hire the sum of fifty dollars and report the same with use at the next annual meeting. On motion a committee be appointed by the chair to draft a set of by-laws by which the Association shall be governed. The chair appointed William G. Waterman, Lyman Dunklee and J.W. Kingsley as committee who reported the following which was read section by section and adopted by the Association."

(Then followed the thirteen articles well and simply worded.) The minutes were signed by

J.W. Kingsley, Secretary.

The next meeting was held in the District #7 School House where it was announced that the Governor had signed on February 16, 1865, the Charter granted by the Legislature which was to be in effect at once. Inspectors were appointed to take care of election of officers. A Board of Auditors was appointed each year. A Board of Directors levied assessments against the members who all gave an 8% note to cover the premium on the valuation he wanted covered. When a loss was reported to the Associations the Board of Directors were called together, the loss reported to them, they referred the loss to the Appraisers. One was appointed by the Association, one by the insured, and one by the two Appraisers already appointed. These three went and investigated the loss quite in detail and reported to the meeting of Directors. The Board of Directors referred the loss report to the Audit Committee who, if found by then correct, so reported to the Board of Directors, who ordered the Treasurer to pay the agreed three-fourths of the loss to the insured in ninety days, and ordered an assessment spread on the members to meet the loss and expenses.

The list of members above were given here to note who were the active citizens of the township, the bullwark of the growing Town of Barrington, and most of them became just as active and effective in the Village of Barrington when they retired. Others who joined the Association after the charter list above were: George C. Gardner, Lysander Beverly, Christ. Rieke, John Cowdin, Linus Lines, Sr., William Otis, William Bruns, C.W. Kellogg, H. Wieneke, Mrs. DeVol, D. Bishop, Jr., H. Meiners, L. Elfrink, J.B. Covey, C.S. Dunklee, Henry Mundhenk, August Hartman, Wm. Rohlmeier, J.H. Hawley, Dan N. Haven, Robert Nightengale, Gerhard Fry, A.D. Church, William Gothard, L.S. Taylor, M.T. Barrows, Fred Hoffman, G.W, Bullard, Dave Haeger, William Freise, H.J. Lageschulte, Fred Beinhoff, F.L. Waterman, Louis Krunfus, Fred A. Lageshulte, John L. Meiners, Mr. Fairchild, Fred Schwemm, C. Wichman, Drew Miller, E.N. Miller, H.C. Schaefer, George Bauman, H.C.P. Sandman, Brandt Arnes, A.T. Loomis, Henry Hobein, George C. Otis, John Wardlow.

A committee of three was appointed each year as detectives. The rate of premium was 2% when occupied by the owner and 3% when occupied by a tenant; a fraction more for the contents.

The first loss of record was the team of horses stolen from Mrs. Adeline Selker who lived on the west side of South Barrington Road at the west end of Bradwell Road. A special meeting was called at once, April, 1866. The President, Shubuel W. Kingsley was authorized to go to Chicago and confer with police. As a result, the team was found in Kalamazoo, Michigan, the thieves put in the County Jail in Chicago. The record shows that a report was made at the March meeting of 1867 that the thieves were still in jail in Chicago, but the minutes of March 1868 shows that "a report of the disposition of the horse thieves that stole the Selker horses said parties were convicted of the crime and each sentenced to six years to the penetentiary and that the amount of the expenses of himself and witnesses attending the trial was $35.00". Other expenses and rewards necessitated a levy on the members which averaged $2.70 on the sixty-eight members. The next month the rate for insuring against horse thievery went up to "at least five percent".

Over a period of sixty years their losses do not seem to have been heavy, many were for cows killed by lightning, occasionally a shed, Beverly's chimney, Rohlmeier's flax stack, Hobein's tool house, Browning's tenant house. Some of the homes that burned were: D.C. Adams in 1875, Sadilek in 1897, H.J. Hennings and L.B. Householder in 1899, Henry T. Hoffman in 1909.

As a sample of a major loss, the fire of William B. Freeman on February 17, 1872 is worth mention. The loss having been reported, Freeman appointed Shubuel Kingsley as his appraiser, the Association appointed A.C. Bucklin, and those two appointed Wm. G. Waterman as the third. After investigation and appraisal of the value of losses, the report passed from the Board to the Auditors and back to the Directors. The valuation was as follows:

barn at $600.00, another barn at $600.00, 6,800 cubic ft. of hay at $7.00 a ton $119.00, fifty bushels of unhusked corn for $10.00, eight cows at $38.00 each $304.00 and seven cows at $34.00 or $238.00, all totaling $2,471.00. The cause was a kerosene lamp used in the hay barn. The policy agreed to payment of three-fourths of the insured value; $1,853.25 was paid him.

A historic loss was the tornado of May 23, 1878 crossing the southeastern corner of the township, often related to us by older citizens. Losses were paid to J. Arnes, Frank Mundhenk, Fred Baker, William Brandt and Hy. Wieneke. The William Bruns loss alone was $1,569.60.

Before that time, the rates had gone up to 4% on places occupied by the owner and to 5% on tenant places. In 1873 the rate went up to 10% on horse thief policies. If kerosene were used in a barn it had to be in "tubular lamps". In 1899 certain gasoline engines were allowed in buildings. Over its sixty years, it seems to have had a successful time of protection. The last meeting of record was in 1915.

Go to Part 6