barrington timeline 1950-1999
1950 - The Census showed a population of 4,209.
1951 - The first police department building was in use.
1953 - Grove Avenue school was built.
1955 - The Special Census showed a population of 4,797.
1955 - A monument to the war dead was dedicated in Evergreen Cemetery.
1957 - The new public library on South Hough St. opened.
1957 - The Village of Barrington Hills was incorporated.
1957 - Deer Park was incorporated.
1958 - St. Paul Evangelical and Reformed Church was re-named. St. Paul United Church of Christ.
1958 - John A. Graham was the first man from Barrington elected to the Illinois State Senate.
1958 - Roslyn Road School was built and opened for the 1958-59 school year.
1958 - The dial telephone building opened and dial telephone service was introduced.
1958 - The Village of Kildeer was incorporated.
1959 - St. Matthew Lutheran Church was dedicated.
1959 - North Barrington was incorporated.
1959 - South Barrington was incorporated.
1959 - Lake Barrington was incorporated.
1960 - The Barrington Broncos basketball team won the North Suburban and regional championships.
1960 - The Census showed a population of 5,434.
1960 - Jewel Tea Company bought land on W. Main St. for a store.
1960 - St. Anne's built a new 16 classroom school.
1960 - A groundbreaking for the UARCO offices and lab took place.
1960 - The addition to Barrington High School opened.
1961 - Barrington Shopping Center opened at Route 59 and Northwest Hwy.
1961 - Jewel Food Store opened on Main St.
1961 - A groundbreaking for the Lutheran Church of Atonement took place.
1961 - The first services at the Evangelical Free Church of Barrington took place.
1961 - The Barrington Real Estate Board was formed.
1961 - The First Church of Christ, Scientist opened.
1963 - Barrington's budget topped $1 million.
1963 - Barrington celebrated its centennial.
1963 - St. Paul United Church of Christ celebrated its centennial.
1963 - Day of mourning for President Kennedy.
1963 - The Barrington Presbyterian Church on Brinker Road was dedicated.
1964 - Barrington High School Broncos won the North Suburban basketball championship.
1964 - The post of Village Manager was created.
1964 - Barrington High School Broncos won the Lake County Class A track championship.
1964 - Barrington High School graduated its largest class, 314 students.
1965 - Barrington's population was 6,500.
1965 - A 24 hour ice and snow storm hit; and later that year, a tornado just missed Barrington.
1965 - The first house was occupied in the Fox Point subdivision.
1965 - A groundbreaking for a new riding center in Barrington Hills was held.
1965 - Charles Percy spoke to 354 graduates at the BHS commencement.
1965 - Lake Barrington established a park district.
1965 - Barrington Little League was in the national tournament, but loses first round.
1965 - St. Anne's convent opened.
1965 - Barrington Tennis Club opened its indoor facilities in South Barrington.
1966 - The Lutheran Church of the Atonement was dedicated.
1966 - The new middle school opened on Eastern Ave.
1966 - South Barrington withdrew as a possible site for an atomic accelerator.
1966 - A new public safety building for police and fire was opened.
1966 - Tower Lakes was incorporated.
1967 - Hough Street School was torn down and re-built.
1967 - 17'' of snow in 24 hours fell in Barrington.
1967 - Langendorf Park was named for park district secretary, E.J. Langendorf.
1967- Voters annexed High School District 224 to Harper College; a groundbreaking was held.
1967 - A tornado ripped through Cuba Township, Barrington Hills, and Lake Zurich.
1968- Barrington's population was 7,872.
1968 - The library became a district.
1968 - Construction began on a second addition to Quaker Oats.
1968 - Ground was broken on the Technical Publishing Company plant.
1968 - The Barrington Chapter of the Lyric Opera was formed.
1968 - Barrington Area Historical Society was founded.
1968 - The Barrington Area Chamber of Commerce was incorporated.
1968 - Arnett C. Lines School was built.
1968 - Two students from BHS debated at Cambridge Union Society, England.
1968 - Enrollments at the Barrington schools and Harper College increased dramatically; 429 students graduated from BHS.
1969 - 30 acres of land were donated to Tower Lakes for a nature area.
1969 - Welcome Wagon was formed.
1969 - Langendorf Park fieldhouse addition opened.
1969 - Lines Elementary School opened.
1969 - Barrington Board of Realtors was chartered.
1969 - Technical Publishing opened.
1969 - Ground was broken for Barrington Commons shopping center.
1969 - South Barrington approved the creation of a 45 acre lake in the Coves.
1970 - The Census showed a population of 8,674.
1970 - Arnett C. Lines Elementary School was dedicated.
1970 - Mrs. H.W. Carlson was the first woman elected to the North Barrington Board of Trustees.
1970 - Barrington Area Library joined the reciprocal borrowing project; voters approved annexation of outlying areas into the district.
1970 - The Woman's Hospital Auxiliary was formed to help with the proposed hospital.
1970 - Catchpenny resale shop opened in support of the proposed hospital.
1970 - The Kiwanis Club was formed.
1970 - The Barrington Area Council of Governments was formed.
1970 - The Broncos won the North Suburban Championship.
1970 - Barrington Commons shopping center opened.
1971 - The Citizens for Conservation was formed.
1971 - Barrington Montessori School opened in North Barrington.
1971 - Donald Klein was named the first director of BACOG.
1971 - Harper College was granted full accreditation.
1971 - The Hooved Animal Humane Society was formed.
1971 - 582 students graduated from Barrington High School.
1971 - Lake Barrington contracted with the Lake County Sheriff for police protection.
1972 - 500 acre Bartlett estate, surrounding Lake Barrington, is sold to developers - condominiums are approved to become Lake Barrington Shores.
1972 - Land is donated for a new library on Route 14.
1972 - Chippendale subdivision opens.
1972 - The Volvo dealership opens on Hough Street.
1972 - Four people in the Corbett family are murdered in Barrington Hills; four members of the De Mau Mau gang are charged.
1972 - A site is proposed for a Barrington area hospital at Route 22, west of Route 59; a permit is issued to the Evangelical Hospital Association.
1973 - The Community Unit School District 220 was organized, combining 3 school districts.
1973 - Quaker Oats donates 90 acres for Good Shepherd Hospital.
1973 - Inverness joins the Barrington Area Council of Governments.
1974 - District 220 purchases its headquarters building on James Street.
1974 - Barrington High School renamed Barrington Franklin Thomas High School, temporarily.
1974 - Barrington begins paramedic service.
1974 - Three are found guilty in the 1972 murders of the Corbett family.
1975 - The first residents move into Lake Barrington Shores.
1975 - The Friends of the Barrington Area Library is formed.
1975 - Safety Town courses begin for area students.
1975 - Barrington police patrol Inverness.
1975 - Barbara Sugden is named the head librarian at Barrington Area Library.
1975 - Soccer becomes the 10th interscholastic sport offered at Barrington High School.
1975 - Barrington provides police patrols to North Barrington.
1975 - District 220 begins participation in the school lunch program.
1975 - Residents approve a referendum to construct a new library at Route 14 and Berry Road.
1976 - The groundbreaking for Good Shepherd Hospital was held.
1976 - "Tales of Old Barrington" is published.
1976 - There is a groundbreaking for the new library.
1976 - Richard Honquist furniture store opens.
1976 - Cuba Marsh is expanded to 382 acres.
1976 - The Ice House is re-made into a shopping mall.
1976 - Barrington High School graduate Gary Fencik signs with the Chicago Bears.
1977 - A referendum to build an indoor pool at Barrington High School passes.
1977 - Willow Creek Community Church purchases 90 acres near South Barrington.
1977 - The new commuter train depot opens.
1978 - The new library opens; the old library becomes the Barrington Township offices.
1978 - The old train depot is moved to the Ice House to become Chessie's Restaurant.
1978 - Barrington American Legion baseball team wins the state championship.
1978 - Barrington police department hires the first female patrol person.
1979 - The train depot was moved to its present location as part of a restaurant in the Ice House Mall.
1979 - Good Shepherd Hospital was dedicated.
1979 - Blizzard drops about 20 inches of snow.
1979 - Traffic light at entrance to Barrington Area Library.
1979 - Jewel celebrates 50 years with headquarters in Barrington.
1979 - Barrington American Legion baseball team finishes third in national American
Legion World Series.
1979 - BHS indoor pool opens.
1979 - Train car becomes restaurant at Ice House.
1980 - St. Anne's school opens first kindergarten class.
1980 - Poplar Creek Theater opens.
1980 - Commuter lot opens with 650 spaces.
1980 - The census showed a total population of 24,214; Village of Barrington, 9,029.
1981 - Barrington United Methodist Church celebrates 50 years in building on S. Hough
1981 - Willow Creek Church opens in South Barrington.
1981 - Tower Lakes' 50th anniversary.
1981 - Barrington Little League team wins state championship; end up third in Little
League World Series.
1982 - 1980 census shows Barrington population rose 15% since 1970, to 9,029.
1986 - Several residential areas of the Village of Barrington were officially designated as historic preservation areas.
December 19, 1989 - Lipofsky's Department Store was destroyed in a fire.
1990 - The census showed a village population of 9,504.
October 28, 1998 - Barrington United Methodist Church was destroyed in a fire.
Contributors to the timeline include: Cathy Trawinski, Barbara Benson, William Klingenberg, Barrington Courier-Review.
Books about Barrington Area History
History of Cook County, Illinois
Stowaway to Heaven
Barsumian, Nazareth Sarkis
They Builded Better Than They Knew
Benson, Barbara L.
Echoes of a Century
First Baptist Church (Barrington, IL).
A Club in the Country: The Story of Barrington Hills Country Club
Schmitz, Patty Dowd.
Hark Back to Barrington: Fifty Years with the Fox River Valley Hunt
Fitch, Victoria R., and D. Susan Johnson.
A History of Barrington, Illinois
Lines, Arnett C.
Tales of Old Barrington
Sharp, Cynthia Baker