June 23, 2014: You may now reserve the Meeting Room or the Zimmerman Room for your group or organization.
Before reserving the renovated Meeting Rooms or Zimmerman Room for your group, please read all of the following policy information carefully, as some guidelines have changed. Clicking the link at the bottom of this page to go to the online reservation system confirms that you have read and agree with all meeting room policies as stated. Also, please note the following:
1) Rooms may be booked from:
● Monday - Friday | 9 AM - 12 PM, 1 PM - 5 PM, and 6 PM - 9 PM;
● Saturday | 9 AM - 12 PM, and 1 PM - 5 PM;
● Sunday | 1 PM - 5 PM.
The hours between 12 - 1 PM and 5 - 6 PM are blocked out to provide time to change meeting room set-ups. If you wish to use a room for morning and afternoon, or afternoon and evening, you will need to make two separate reservations.
2) Coffee makers have not yet been installed. Until they are, please bring your own prepared coffee for your meetings. All groups must provide their own coffee cups and extras.
3) Audiovisual equipment has not yet been fully installed in the rooms. The rooms are currently available as is.
4) The person making the request must have a valid Barrington Area Library card and must be the official contact person for the event.
5) Need to cancel your reservation? Use the link in your confirmation email or click here.
The Board of Library Trustees of the Barrington Public Library District provides meeting rooms for use to the following groups providing the member booking the room is a Barrington Area Library cardholder in good standing:
• Not-for-profit groups whose membership is located within the Barrington Public Library District.
• Governmental bodies located within the district.
• Business and professional associations located within the district.
• Business owners who own or rent property within the district.
1. Library-sponsored programs and library-related programs and meetings.
2. All other groups on a first come, first serve basis.
The meeting rooms are available during regular library hours:
Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00–5:00 p.m.
The Meeting Room is located on the ground level of the library and has several accessible emergency exits. The Zimmerman Room is located on the mezzanine level. It is accessible by elevator, but there are no wheelchair accessible emergency exits.
Reservations for the following groups must be made by an authorized adult member to whom a Barrington Area Library card has been issued.
• Not-for-profit group
• Governmental body
• Member of a business or professional association
• Business owner
1. Requests for use of the meeting rooms are made based on a rolling 4 months calendar.
2. All groups must submit a request through the online reservation system.
3. The person making the application shall be the contact person, unless specified otherwise, and is the only person authorized to make changes in room arrangements. Once the room has been set up, further changes in seating are the responsibility of the organization, and limited to tables and chairs available for that space.
4. If a meeting is open to the public, the organization making the application must provide the library with a name and phone number that may be released to individuals who are interested in information about his/her organization.
5. The authorized contact must have a valid Barrington Area Library card at the time of the meeting.
6. Groups must provide an accurate estimate of expected meeting attendance. Groups may be denied use of a meeting room if the estimated attendance is not appropriate for the room capacity. Groups will receive two warnings for attendance that is 50% or less of the estimated attendance or results in a total attendance of fewer than 10 participants. The third occurrence will result in the suspension of the group’s meeting room privileges for a period of three months.
7. Upon request, groups shall provide staff with such materials and information related to ensuring qualifications under this policy. Failure to provide this information in a timely manner is grounds for denial of the reservation request and/or cancellation.
8. The date and/or time of an existing meeting room application cannot be modified. Groups wishing to change the date or time of a meeting, program, or event must submit a new application for meeting room use at balibrary.org.
9. Confirmation or denial of reservations will be made via email to the authorized contact that is responsible for disseminating the information.
10. If circumstances warrant, the library reserves the right to cancel or relocate any scheduled meeting.
11. The Executive Director will refer to the Board of Library Trustees any request that in his/her opinion presents substantial question. The Board of Library Trustees will make the final decision on whether a group meets the requirements for the use of a meeting room. If there is a reasonable possibility of disruption, personal injury, or damage to property, the library reserves the right to decline usage to any group. The Board of Library Trustees reserves the right to require board-approved insurance, a bond, or a cash deposit. The Board of Library Trustees reserves the right to deny the use of a meeting room to any group that, in its judgment, has violated library policies or may serve to disturb the orderly provision of library services or the safety of the library’s patrons or staff.
12. The Board of Library Trustees reserves the right to change any or all of the Meeting Room Policy without notice.
1. No organization may use the name, address, or telephone number of the Barrington Area Library as its address or headquarters.
2. Groups must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and are responsible for providing qualified interpreters or auxiliary aids to meeting attendees upon request.
3. Attendance at meetings may be limited to members only.
4. Groups composed of members under age 18 must have at least one adult sponsor for each 20 persons in attendance.
5. Smoking is not permitted on library property.
6. The library does not provide baby-sitting services.
7. Groups using the meeting rooms may not collect admission fees for their programs or meetings on library property.
8. Library meeting rooms may not be used for meetings, programs or events involving the sale, advertising, solicitation or promotion of commercial products or services with the exception of programs sponsored by the Barrington Area Library.
9. All group members must vacate the meeting room promptly at the end of their reserved time or risk losing future meeting room privileges.
10. All groups using a meeting room are responsible for leaving it in good order. Equipment and food may not be stored in the library. Meeting room privileges will be canceled for any group repeatedly leaving a meeting room in disorder. In case of loss and/or damage to library equipment and/or building, such groups are responsible for the cost of replacement and/or repair.
11. Any authorized representative who does not use the meeting room as scheduled, or who fails to cancel his/her reservation at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled meeting, will be assessed a cancellation fee of $50 and may lose future meeting room privileges.
12. Any authorized representative who fails to pay cancellation fees will lose future meeting room privileges.
13. All persons hosting or attending meetings in meeting rooms are expected to follow all rules for use of the library.
Food and Beverage Service - note: coffee makers not currently available
1. Food and drink may be brought in or catered by groups using the meeting rooms. Groups are to bring their own coffee cups and other supplies. Library staff are not available to assist with food and beverage delivery. Patrons are expected to clean up after themselves, discarding or recycling trash in appropriate containers and notifying staff immediately of any spills. Supplies cannot be stored on library property.
2. Alcohol may not be brought in or consumed in the meeting rooms.
1. The library does not have personnel to assist with meetings and programs, or to operate equipment and software.
1. A grand piano is available for use by not-for-profit organizations using the Meeting Room within the above guidelines and by piano teachers to hold recitals of their students.
2. A piano teacher may book the Meeting Room for use of the piano for one supervised rehearsal session, equal to the length of the program.
3. The piano is to be used in the Meeting Room only.
4. The library tunes the piano on a regular basis. An organization or piano teacher may request that the piano be tuned for a specific performance by providing the library with at least two weeks’ notice. Special tuning must be paid for in advance at market price at the time the request is made. The library’s regular piano tuner will be used. The library will make reasonable efforts to accommodate the request.
I have read and agree to the above policy regarding Meeting Rooms/Zimmerman Room. Take me to the online reservation system.