Job opportunities at the library
Position: Circulation Associate I
Hours: Part-Time – under 20 hours per week (includes some daytime, evening and weekend hours)
Salary: $12.19 per hour
Join our friendly customer service team!
We're looking for an enthusiastic, friendly person to join our busy customer service team in the Circulation Services department. Duties include greeting and assisting patrons with automated library services, answering and directing telephone calls and in-person questions, registering patrons for library cards, collecting fees and more. High school diploma or equivalent is required, and two years of relevant work experience are a plus. Click here for the full job description and more details about the application process.
Applications for this position are available to download (PDF) at balibrary.org. Complete the application and attach in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration (or, print and scan the completed application, then submit via email).
Volunteer opportunities at the library
The Barrington Area Library is currently in need of volunteers for special projects. Accepted volunteers will be required to work independently (after initial training) and commit to a minimum 6 month time period (or until completion of the assigned project). These positions require great attention to detail. Read the various descriptions below and fill out the application below if you are interested in being part of our volunteer team.
Homebound Program Volunteer
Flexible, friendly and trustworthy volunteer needed to deliver library materials for our homebound residents program. Applicants must:
• Possess a valid driver’s license, vehicle and vehicle insurance coverage
• Have good, general geographic knowledge of the Barrington area
• Be willing to drive to homes in the library district to drop off and pick up library materials for homebound patrons
• Volunteer during hours needed: approximately 1 hour, 1-2 times per month (this can be coordinated with your own visits to the library)
• Have basic familiarity with Barrington Area Library services and processes as a patron.
Adult Services Volunteer
Have an interest in local history? Enjoy working with computers and technology? Four volunteers are needed to help with scanning and making historical photos and documents available on our Web site and in the library. Days and hours are flexible - however, a commitment to a mutually agreeable schedule will be expected through the duration of the project.
Duties may include any of the following - on your application ("Additional Skills" section), please tell us if you have experience with any of these tasks (we can train you on less-familiar skills):
Creating and editing documents using Microsoft programs.
Using HTML to create and/or edit Web pages.
Using Adobe Acrobat Pro to create and/or edit PDFs using a Mac.
Photo Editing/Sound Editing Skills:
Using digital cameras to capture images.
Using Microsoft Office Picture Manager or other photo editing software.
Using Flickr to upload, edit and tag photos.
Using Roxio and/or Garage Band to record narration.
Indexing of historical materials to assist with our newspaper archives
Transcribing historical documents
Scanning of documents
To apply for these volunteer positions, please complete the volunteer application (PDF) and return via email to email@example.com. A representative may contact only the volunteer applicants that meet our current criteria.
Please be aware of the following important items:
- All accepted volunteers age 18 and older are required to satisfactorily complete a criminal background check prior to starting volunteer work.
- Volunteers are not paid positions and are not a promise for paid positions.
- The Barrington Area Library does not accept volunteers for community service hours, for special needs cases or volunteers under the age of 16 due to the independent nature of the projects.